Want to delete duplicate photos on Windows? In this article, we are going to show the different methods to identify and delete duplicate photos on your windows device.
Duplicate photos are nothing but similar photos. They take unnecessary storage space. It is best to delete similar photos. If you have the vast collection of photos, it takes too much time to find duplicate photos manually. So it is best to follow any of the below methods to find and delete duplicate photos on your Windows PC automatically.
Table of Contents
1. How to delete duplicate photos on Windows by using Duplicate Photo Cleaner?
Let us see how to delete duplicate photos on your Windows Device in a stepwise manner using duplicate photo cleaner.
Total Time: 11 minutes
Step 1: Visit the website and download the software
The first thing you need to do is download the duplicate photo cleaner software from the Internet.
Go to duplicate photo cleaner Official site. Then the options will show as shown in the above figure. You can see the software for Windows and Mac devices. We need to clean duplicate photos on Windows device, so click on the Download for Windows option. Then the software will start downloading into your system.
Step 2: Run the software and install it into your device
Once the software is downloaded into your device then click on that software file to open it. Then it shows a window that asks you to “Run this file on your device?”. Now click on the Run option as shown in the above image.
When you run the software on your device, then it asks you to install it on your device. So click on the install option.
With this step, You can successfully download the duplicate photo cleaner app to your Windows device for identifying, removing duplicate photos.
Step 3: Set the file types and threshold value for recognizing duplicate photos
Once the software is successfully installed on your device then it opens its home-screen as shown in the above figure. In that you can see mainly two options for setting the prerequisites for identifying duplicates.
The first thing you need to do is select the file types that include “.bmp”, “.gif”, “.jpg”, “.jpeg”, etc.
And the second requirement is to set the similarity threshold. You need to set it for similar photos identification. Here you need to set it to at least 50% by moving the arrow on the scale to right and left directions for effective identification.
Step 4: Select the folders to scan
Once you set the pre-requisites for the identification of similar photos or duplicate photos, then you need to place the folder to scan for duplicate photos. Click on the place that I showed in the red color rectangular box. There you need to place the folders to scan.
Once you click on it, then it opens the storage of your device where all the photos are stored.
Select any folder from the available folders and then click on the “Select folder” option at the bottom of the screen. Once you select the folder, it will be added to the folders list which is to be scan.
Step 5: Set Threshold and start scanning
Here I am sitting the similarity threshold to 80% instead of 50% for better duplicate photos identification. Once you set the similarity threshold as per your requirement then click on the “Start Scan” option at the bottom of the screen as shown in the above figure. This is the procedure to scan the duplicate photos and your Windows device.
Step 6: Fix the duplicate and delete those
Once the scan is completed, then It will show the number of duplicate photos or similar photos that match as shown in the above image. Now click on the “Go fix them” option at the bottom of the screen.
Once you click on the go fix them the option, then the matches detected will be shown on the screen, keep the original safely and remove the duplicate photo by selecting it. When you select it you can see seven options at the bottom of the screen. Click on the delete option to delete that duplicate photo.
You can also delete the duplicate very easily by placing the cursor on the duplicate photo then it will show you three options, One is the plus symbol, the second is the eye symbol and the third is the bin symbol. When you place the cursor on the bin symbol it shows you “delete the file” option as shown in the below image. So click on the Bin symbol to delete it in a fast way.
This is the procedure to identify and remove the duplicates photos by using the Duplicate Photo Cleaner app.
2. Remo Duplicate Photos Remover
Remo Duplicate Photo Remover is one more app that facilitates the process of identifying and deleting the duplicate photos from your Windows device in an easy way.
Remo Duplicate Photos Remover will minimize the tedious efforts that you used for searching duplicates photos on your Windows so that a lot of space will be saved on your device for other purposes. It will find the photos that you are taken in the burst mode, resized or HDR photos, similar photos send by the multiple contacts, groups via WhatsApp, Messenger, or any other instant messaging application.
When you click on the start search option then it will automatically find all the annoying duplicates that might be clogging the storage space,it will remove exact duplicates from your device. So that it can save GBs of space on your device.
Follow the steps below to delete duplicate photos by using Remo Duplicate Photos Remover:
- Launch the Remo Duplicate Photos Remover app on your device.
- After launching, click on Select Location and Start Scan option
- Choose the locations from which you want to identify duplicates like Desktop, Pictures, etc. By default the software will search images for Exact match, in case you need to remove even the pics that are similar(Same photos sent by different people via WhatsApp, Messenger, etc, or downloaded, captured photos) then select the “Scan for Similar Photos” option and click on the “Start Scan” option.
- The software then starts scanning for the duplicate images in your device storage and displays them in different Sets
- Choose the Sets you want to remove or you can filter the ones you don’t need from the Sets and then click on the “Finish” option
- With this step, you have deleted and freed up your device memory using this Remo duplicate Photos Remover software.
3. How to remove duplicate photos by using the Duplicate Cleaner app?
Let us see how to delete duplicate photos by using the Duplicate Cleaner app in stepwise.
Step 1: Install and launch the Duplicate Cleaner
The first and foremost thing that you need to do is, install the duplicate cleaner app from Microsoft store. To install click on the get option as shown in the above image.
Once the download is completed then you will see the launch option and wish list option as shown in the below image. Click on the launch option to launch the installed app on your Windows device.
Step 2: Set the language for the app
Now, it shows the language to be selected for your duplicate cleaner app. Select the language as your wish by clicking on the drop-down menu as shown in the image. Once the language is selected then click on the OK option at the bottom of the screen
Step 3: Set the prerequisites for duplicate identification
Now, the app is successfully installed and launched on your Windows device. Here you need to set the pre-requisites for identifying the duplicate photos or similar photos on your Windows device. To set the prerequisite click on the “Search criteria what to find” section on the screen.
When you click on it, you can see mainly three modes as shown in the image. Those are regular mode, image mode and music mode. Here our requirement is to identify and delete the images so click on the “Image mode”.
Now you need to select the photo similarity for duplicate photos. Here I am selecting a good match from the drop-down menu. These are the three steps that you need to set for identifying duplicates on your windows by using a duplicate cleaner app.
Step 4: Select a folder to be scan for duplicate photos
Once the search criteria is set then you need to drag and place a folder to scan.
To add folders to scan, click on the “scan location where to look” section. In that, you can see available folders in different places like desktop, documents, pictures, music Etc. Here I am selecting a folder from the desktop. Select the folder and then click on the Arrow symbol, which is directed towards the left side of the screen as shown in the above image.
Step 5: Start scan for identifying duplicates in your folder
When you click on the Arrow symbol, then the folder will be added to the search list. The screen will show the folder which is added to the scan list as shown in the image. You can see the three options for your folder along with the name here. The status is shown as included, now click on the “Start Scan” option at the top of the screen as shown with the help of an arrow symbol in the above image.
Up to now, I have only a free version. So only regular mode can be supported but for our requirement of deleting duplicate photos, we need to upgrade it to the pro version. So buy the pro version by clicking on the ok option at the bottom of the dialogue box.
You can see the duplicate cleaner Pro 4 available at the cost of ₹2741.95. There will be some discounts available based on volume. Once you purchase the pro version of the duplicate cleaner app, then you can successfully identify and delete the duplicate images and music duplicate also.
These are the steps to be followed to delete duplicates photos on your Windows device by using the Duplicate Cleaner Pro app.
Up to now, we have discussed two methods of identifying, deleting duplicate photos from the Windows device. There are some other methods also available for that purpose. One such method is Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder.
4. Awesome Duplicate photo finder
Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder is one of the best duplicate photos finders for Windows Device. We have seen the procedure for identifying duplicate photos in the two previous methods, so the process is almost the same for all kinds of software. So here I am not going to highlighting the total step-wise process once again. Here I will list the pros and cons of this software.
Once you install the software into your Windows device, just place the folder in which you want to scan for duplicate photos and then click on the Start Search option. Then the photos will start the scan and the result list will be shown at the bottom of the interface. Then you check each and every photo in that list by preview option, then you can have a decision aspect on which need to delete and which you need to keep. You can also replace the duplicate from one folder to another folder.
- Fast scanning will perform
- Most easy to use than other kinds of software
- Options to either delete or keep or move the duplicates
- Shows the degree of similarity for the same photos
- It supports all major image types such as JPG, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIFF, etc
- Simple user interface
- supports adding of multiple folders or drives for scanning, there is no limitation for the number of files
- It will work well with network drives and removable devices (USB flash drives etc.)
- Completely free software for identifying and deleting the duplicate photos.
- Option to check for program updates automatically
- Option to turn off the annoying confirmation of deleting files
- Available in Both Installable and Portable Versions
- No advanced configuration options
- Fails if the threshold value false below 50%
- The help menu is not included in this software
- No multiple file selection options
- It does not show the location of the file
5. Duplicate Files Fixer
Duplicate Files Fixer will identify and remove the duplicate files present in your Windows computer. It will recover the space by deleting all the duplicates or similar files found on the system. It uses the simplest method of scanning the system or specified folders for all.
- Exact Duplicate identification: This software will show all the exact duplicates found in the result of files scanning
- It will add files or folders easily in the software tool with the drag and drop feature.
- Auto Mark: It will automatically mark all the duplicates, leaving the original file as the same
- Similar files: Exact duplicates files or photos along with the similar files are selected for removing from the Windows device.
- Unmark All: Remove all the marked duplicates on the files at once with the unmarked button
Up to now, we have discussed the methods of identifying and deleting duplicate photos on the Windows device.