Forgot Windows 7 Admin password? Want to Reset Windows 7 Administrator Password? Couldn’t get back into your computer? Not being able to log into your own computer is annoying. Luckily, there are some ways you can reset forgotten Windows 7 administrator password no matter how bad the situation might be.
Method 1: Reset Windows 7 Administrator Password with Install CD
This method can help you regain access to your Windows 7 desktop in case you forgot the administrator password. Simply boot your machine with Windows 7 installation CD, you can then take use of the sticky keys trick to hack into your administrator account. Here’s how:
- Insert Windows 7 Installation CD into the CD/DVD-ROM and reboot your computer.
- Boot into the BIOS Setup. Set boot order for the DVD drive first and proceed to save and exit the BIOS.
- When booted from the disc, press SHIFT + F10 keys at the setup screen. A Command Prompt window will open.
- There, you will need to replace the Sticky Keys application (sethc.exe) with cmd.exe. This can be done with the following commands:
move c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe
- Next, restart the machine by running the command “wpeutil reboot”.
- When you are back to the login screen, press the SHIFT keys 5 times and a Command Prompt will open immediately. Now type the following command to reset your lost administrator password:
net user Administrator new_password_here
Close the window and reboot the system. You can then log into your Windows 7 administrator account with the new password.
- Related: Forgot Windows 8 password? How to reset
- How to reset Windows 8 Administrator Password with CMD
Method 2: Reset Windows 7 Administrator Password with PCUnlocker Live USB
What to do if you forgot Windows 7 password on a computer without CD drive? Or your administrator account was locked out, disabled? PCUnlocker is a simple recovery disk that can run off a USB thumb drive, and help you activate/unlock Windows 7 administrator account, and remove your forgotten login password easily. Here’s how:
- To get started, download PCUnlocker ISO image using another PC (not the Windows 7 PC with a forgotten password) with Internet connection. Next load the ISO file to your USB drive using the freeware ISO2Disc (or Rufus).
- Insert your USB drive on your Windows 7 computer then shut it down. Boot up the PC again then select the PC to boot from USB.
- After loading required files from USB, you’ll see a screen that display a list of local accounts that were found in the SAM database of your Windows 7 system.
- Choose the local administrator account and click on Reset Password button to remove the login password.
Click Restart to reboot your computer, you can then log into Windows 7 administrator account without any password.
PCUnlocker is available in three versions basic, professional and Enterprise. I suggest you go with Enterprise version for full features.
How to Prevent Forgetting Your Password?
After getting back into your Windows 7 administrator account, go to the Control Panel and set a new user password, along with a password hint that could help you recall the password. It’s also necessary to create a password reset disk that will come in handy in case you forgot Windows 7 password next time.