Want to record your screen on Windows? In the age of media, everyone becomes the producer and disseminator of knowledge, idea, and tutorial. We publish articles or release videos on YouTube, blog, and Twitter. You can even sell your videos on Udemy. By this way, we all are in fact establishing our personal brands and platforms. Writing is a comparatively traditional and dull way to do self-media while presenting video or supplementing explanatory video may catch more attention. Making a video sometimes requires recording our PC screen. Therefore I prepare two screen recording apps for you.
For Win10 users, it is easy to use Game Bar, the built-in recording tool which comes with the pre-installed app Xbox. The original purpose of this tool is to record the process of your playing game in Xbox but it is also feasible to record other activities on your screen. However, since Game Bar screen recording is not available on Windows 7/8 and it won’t record system sound, you may prefer a third-party screen recorder like FonePaw Screen Recorder which is more powerful and supports all Windows versions.
How to Record Your Screen on Windows
1. How to use Win10 built-in screen recording tool to Record your screen:
- Click Start menu; Find and click Xbox in All Apps.
- Tap [Win] + [G] and click “Yes, this is a game!” to launch the recording tool bar.
- Click the Red Dot to begin your screen recording or click the camera icon to snapshot your screen.
- Tap [Win] + [G] and click the red square to finish the recording as well as saving it.
- Find the footage: open the Xbox app, click the setting icon on the left toolbar and choose the Game DVR. There you can see the path of saved recording and you can click the “Open The File” directly.
- Other hotkeys for your reference:
[Win] + [G] »»» Launch the tool bar
[Win] + [Alt] + [R] »»» Start/stop recording
[Win] + [Alt] + [T] »»» Show/hide timer
This tool just needs simple operation but it is neither rich in functions nor flexible in using. No sound recording is the fatal defect of it. It can only record the interface area of the app you are using and you cannot select certain area of the computer screen for recording. In addition, the recording is automatically finished if you minimalize the app you are recording. And it does not support webcam recording synchronously. So the Windows’ built-in recording tool makes it impossible to reproduce the screen activities completely and flexibly. For people having a taste for well-designed and powerful software, it is excruciating to use such a simple app with limited function and flexibility.
For those who need to record more than one app with system & microphone sounds or even your face, I will recommend you the app I have always been using, FonePaw Screen Recorder. This app is light-weighted and easy-to-use. I use it to finish my first screen recording without reading any instruction or watching any tutorial. I just clicked the icons based on my common sense and experience but I finished it perfectly. Next I would like to shows you how this recorder works and hope you will find anything helpful to you.
2.Better screen recorder app: FonePaw Screen Recorder
First of all, I like the design of the FonePaw Screen Recorder. The light-blue and office-style interface can always make me feel eased and the simple icons and concise layout refresh me immediately. There are mainly 3 tools on the recorder. Below I will briefly introduce the three main functions respectively, Video Recorder, Audio Recorder and Snapshot.
Step1: click the Video Recorder button on the main interface.
Step2: select recording area by drawing the light-blue-dashed line and adjust other settings like whether to record system sound and microphone sound or adjust the volumes of them, like whether to turn on the webcam.
Step3: hit the orange button REC on the right to start screen recording.
Step4: you can hit the double-bar icon on the float bar to temporarily pause the recording and resume it by hitting it again. Or you could click the light-blue square to stop and finish your recording. After finishing, a recorded video window will pop up for your reviewing. Then you can click Save button to save this video or leave it out by closing the window.
More user-friendly and powerful functions:
There are some very powerful and convenient functions which cannot be achieved by Windows 10 built-in recording tool.
- A drawing panel for marking on your screen & mouse effect: when making a tutorial by screen recording, it is quite convenient for me to use annotation tools to highlight things on the screen. In addition, you can add colored circle around your cursor and set a different colored circle around your cursor when clicking. By this way, it’s easy for your audiences to follow your cursor’ moving and clicking.
- Time recording: I especially like this function! There are many videos online which cannot be downloaded or live stream videos but I need to watch them during no-network condition. So I don’t need to sit by the table to watch out its ending while recording the video. I just need to set the recording length to the video length or the expected length. Then I can leave my PC to do other things.
- Multiple video formats to choose: I usually upload different videos to different platforms. The required uploading format differs from platform to platform. FonePaw screen recorder helps me easily satisfy this complex requirement by providing options of almost all possible output formats
On the FonePaw recorder, Snapshot can be fulfilled by either hitting the Snapshot button or tapping [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [C]. After capturing the screen, a marking panel will float beside the snapshot and you can make necessary marks and blur onto it directly by using tools on the panel.
I rarely use this function in fact. It can record system sound as well as microphone sound just like Screen Recorder. And it can also be set a fixed recording length. The operation and process are similar to Screen Recorder.
- You Might Also Like: How to compress Video files for YouTube, Facebook, Whatsapp, etc.,
- 3 Ways to Download YouTube Videos
To sum up, the average Windows 10 users can make up with built-in recording tool to record screen without sound, preset length, and annotation tools.
Users using Windows 7/8/10 with higher requirements for screen recording can install FonePaw Screen Recorder to gain more features for recording screen.
But we suggest you go with Allavsoft. You will get the screen recording option in its free version. It will give you many more features like downloading audio or video from all most all online sites and converting video/audio formats. Moreover, it comes with a lifetime license.
25% Allavsoft discount Coupon
Our readers get a special 25% discount on all Allavsoft plans using the coupon code: VWANT25