Do you want the answer to the questions Does Mac have antivirus built-in? And Do you need additional antivirus software for your Mac? This tutorial will give you the answer to your questions and it will also give you the list of Best antivirus software for Mac (Free and premium) and Best anti malware software for Mac.
Mac OS is one of the most secure operating systems developed by Apple. There are different versions of Mac OS with different names. When you compare the stats of infected devices, Mac OS will be the least affected in many scenarios. It is because Apple took all the outcomes into consideration and also provided regular software updates patching the flaws if found any. There are instances where you might download a pirated version of the software which is coupled with the virus. You won’t be having any clue about it, right?
Apple is taking measures to make Mac OS the most secure operating system, but attackers find ways and developing new types of malware and viruses to affect your system. If there is any potential breach then Apple immediately finds a fix and issues an update. What if you don’t update your mac regularly? I bet that most of you won’t update mac regularly due to many reasons, Maybe it will take too much time or you are always on the run. In these instances, you are potentially at risk which you are completely unaware of.
To overcome these situations and keep you safe from all the latest malware and viruses, We are preparing this list of Top Antivirus Products for Mac. This list contains the programs which we personally used on our macs before preparing this guide. So let’s dive into our guide on the best Antivirus software for Mac.
- Also Read: 8 Ways That You Can Prevent hacking of Your Computer,Mac & Online Activity
- 3 Ways How I Hide My IP address (Change IP Of Mac/Windows)
Table of Contents
Virus vs Malware:
A virus is one of the types of malware. In other words, it is a piece of malware. In real, viruses are circulated through infected sites, emails, and flash drives. Viruses enter your device when you open infected files and applications.
In short, malware is malicious software. And it is intentionally designed to damage PC, OS, data, server, client, and computer network. In reality, Malware enters your device via malicious links when you click on the web, malicious sites, flash drives, email attachments, spam emails, and software or files that you download from web.
Antivirus vs Antimalware: What is the difference between Antivirus and antimalware?
|It is a piece of software specially designed to detect, block and remove PC viruses.||It is also a type of software specially designed to detect, block, and remove malicious software and files.|
|It also detects and blocks some types of malware but not all. Such as trojans, rootkits, phishing, and more.||It detects, blocks and removes all types of newest and current malware. And it more focused on zero-day malware.|
|It is the best one to crush malware that encounters via flash drives and email attachments.||It updates its rules quicker than the antivirus. Hence, it is the best one to crush new malware that encounters while you surf on the web.|
Do I Need Antivirus for Mac? Do Macs need Virus Protection?
Yes. Though macOS is a Unix based operating system and is designed with advanced technologies. It is less immune to malware attacks. And not effective to block and remove all types of malware. At present, hackers are finding many ways to hack your Mac. Recently, malware attacks became severe on Mac users.
Mac does nothing if files are infected with malware. In such a case, you must depend on the antivirus. These antiviruses protect your macOS against viruses, Trojans, spyware, and other malware in real-time.
In older days there was no virus that could affect the Mac. But today hackers are continuously developing malware which could even target MacOS. Malware is not a single software. Malware is any kind of malicious software. Malware might be developed to damage your files or to spy on you by recording keystrokes, or stealing your files, credit card details or etc.,
The growing rate of Mac malware is very in recent years. According to the AV-TEST report malware for macOS has almost tripled. Of course, it is still very low compare to Windows malware.
Earlier malware was just deleting the files and displaying blank screens. But today malware was mainly designed to steal your money. They target your credit or debit information, credentials for a service or website or online banking.
What Should I do to stop Malware from downloading?
You need to download any kind of software from a reliable website only. Apple’s Mac App Store is a safe place to download any software or app for your Mac. Even there were some incidents where Appstore apps were affected with malware.
New Apple devices with some good updates can partially protect from data leaks but not completely protect you from the latest malware like Spectre and Meltdown. Older devices are not safe at all.
Does Mac have antivirus built-in?
Yes. All macOS devices have built-in security against malware and viruses. That is, macOS is designed with advanced technologies to defend against threats.
What are the built-in security software in Mac?
The list of built-in security software in macOS devices is given below.
Apple T2 chip:
It has three sub-security features like Touch ID, Secure Boost, and Encrypted Storage capability.
It encrypts your data and the entire disk drive. So that no hacker can retrieve your data from your disk drive.
XD, ASLR, and Kernel ASLR Technologies:
These protect your Mac against malware.
Gatekeeper is an app verification protection developed to protect you from malicious apps. It allows only Apple verified and trusted apps. And blocks all malicious apps developed by malware developers.
You can make changes in Security & Privacy settings to donwload apps only from App Store or App Store and identified developers who have added appled approved signature to their apps.
You can override these settings when any one app was blocked.
There are so many latest malware which can bypass this Gatekeeper. Apple released the patch to the most recent Gatekeeper bypass. But still you might face risk with new malware.
When you surf on Safari, it blocks all suspicious sites that try to steal user names, passwords, credit card details, and more.
It controls connections that made from your Mac to another Mac on your network.
macOS and iCloud aids you to identify your missing Mac. And from a remote Mac, you can erase your personal data too on your lost Mac.
XProtect: Apple’s malware detection engine
XProtect is a malware detection engine developed by Apple. It is signature-based tool. It detects some types of malware after downloading on to your Mac.
Even Mac has Malware Removal Tool (MRT) that removes the malicious software already present on your Mac.
XProtect will work only when you download a file from Safari, Messages, or Mail apps. It cannot work when you download files from other browsers, from other file servers, or from FTP, or from cloud storage like Dropbox, etc.,
Apple takes a long time to update XProtect and they only include signatures for some kind of malware. Whereas Anti-malware software like Intego Mac Internet Security (60% Discounted Link) updates their malware signatures as soon as they discovered the new threats to MacOS.
Best Antivirus Software for Mac | Best Anti-malware software for Mac
We Provided this section in the form of a video Tutorial for our reader’s convenience. If you are interested in reading, you can skip the video for now and watch it after the completion of reading this article.
All the antivirus products which we recommended below will have two versions which are free and paid. We advise you to test the free versions before opting for a paid subscription. We also strongly recommend users not to download any cracked version of antivirus programs. It is plain stupid downloading a cracked version of an antivirus program which you are going to use to protect your computer. In case if you are using any antivirus program in the below list, then do leave a review of the product below no matter if it is a good experience or a bad one.
Almost all products in this list work as both Anti-malware and antivirus for your Mac. When you choose Anti-malware software, that works for Antivirus as well. Most of the products do not have the word Anti-malware in their name but still they are anti malware software. You need to check their features to know if that works for malware.
1.Intego Mac Internet Security X9: Best anti malware for Mac
Intego Mac Internet Security X9 (60% Discounted Link) is the most downloaded Mac Antivirus to date. It is the Best antivirus software for Mac. It is specifically designed, developed for the Mac ecosystem. Unlike other antivirus applications on the market that offer products for both Windows and Mac, Intego is a dedicated solution for Mac users.
It provides two security applications. VirusBarrier X9 and NetBarrier X9. The former protects your Mac against malware. And the latter protects your Mac against unauthorized access. The latter provides a strong firewall with adjustable three levels of security.
It provides full privacy to you and blocks all online cybercriminals, hackers, and more. This is the notable and additional feature of it loved by all Mac users. If you want full privacy, then this is the right choice for your Mac. Also, it is efficient in blocking malware too.
Key Features of Intego Mac Internet Security X9 at a glance
There are many amazing features in the application that will make you stop thinking about future malware or virus attacks. Intego is the leader of the bunch. Some of the key features of the application are:
- Scheduled and Real-Time protection.
- Automatically scans external drives when they are connected to the system.
- Email notifications when it finds malware.
- Scans archived files as well.
- Can even scan and remove viruses from your iOS devices and many more.
Features of VirusBarrier X9:
- It provides protection both for PC and Mac against malware.
- It is a real-time and automated antivirus. That is, it silently runs in the background and scans when you open an application, folder, files, and more. And keeps your Mac free from malware.
- When you connect iOS devices to your Mac.Then it scans and detects malicious files, if any, that are received from emails.
- When you insert an external device, then it scans all such devices.
- It informs you via email when it detects any malware on your Mac.
- It quickly scans your macOS device.
- And more.
Features of NetBarrier X9:
- You can set 1,2,3 levels of Firewall security to your Mac to block unauthorized accessing.
- Here, the firewall performs dual-action. One is, it provides anti-spyware, to protect the outgoing data sent from your Mac. And the other is, it monitors all running apps on your network. And informs you when it detects a new connection.
- It permits you to block connections to specific domains.
- And more.
When you want the Mac booster features along with antivirus, you need to go with Intego Mac Premium bundle.(65% Discounted Link).
Plans, Pricing and Special discount of Intego Mac Internet Security
You can either buy a 1 year or 2-year subscription. If you want to test it before buying, then they are offering a free trial as well.
The cost of its premium plan is $49.99 for 1 Mac for 1 year. And is $92.99 for 2 years. You can buy its plan for over 1 Mac. And you can buy it both for your Mac and PC.
Offer: Our readers get a special 60% discount on Intego Mac Internet Security. You can visit our Intego discount coupon page for the unique offers on other Intego products.
2. Norton 360 Premium
Norton 360 premium (Special Discounted Link) uses advanced security, multi-layered, and VPN technologies to give 360-degree protection for your Mac against malware and viruses. As it provides 360-degree security, no cyber criminal finds an inch space to steal your personal and financial data.
Further, it scored top marks in all formats in the latest reports of AV Tests. So you can prefer it for your Mac, as it provides full protection including parental control.
Key Features of Norton 360 Premium for Mac at a glance
- No way to malware threats:
- It’s innovative security and multi-layered technologies provide 360-degree security to your Mac. So, spyware, viruses, malware, and ransomware threats find no way to enter and attack your Mac.
- Safe Cam:
- It blocks all hackers from accessing your webcam.
- Secure VPN:
- Further, you can get a secure VPN to your Mac. It provides bank-grade encryption. That is, it keeps your bank details and passwords safe and private.
- Monitors Dark web:
- It informs you if it finds your email address on the dark web. And blocks all such dark webs if you access on your Mac.
- Password Manager:
- It permits you to create, save, and manage your passwords, credit card details, and more with safe and secure.
- Wow! It provides a 100GB cloud backup too.
- And more.
Price and Plans of Norton 360 Premium
Norton 360 premium costs $124.99. It can protect up to 10 devices. You will get some discount for the first year.
3. Avast Premium Security for Mac
Avast Premium Security for Mac is just more than an antivirus. Though it is a little expensive, you can use it for 10 Macs. If you use it on 10 Macs, then your budget expense decreases. Further, it scored top marks in the area of malware protection on your Mac.
Oh Great! It provides 60 days free trial for Mac users like you. And you can enjoy all its premium features during this period.
Key Features of Avast Premium Security for Mac at a glance
- No way to Fake sites:
- Oh Great! It won’t permit you to visit fake sites that try to steal your money and passwords.
- Phishing Net:
- It protects you even from the newest phishing sites.
- Anti-Malware Security in real-time:
- It not only stops all types of malware like spyware, trojans, viruses, and more, but also scans your full Mac to remove all hidden threats.
- It provides real-time protection.
- It provides dual protection to your Mac and Windows against all malware. And avoids the sharing of infected files with your dear ones.
- Web and Email shields:
- It blocks all dangerous downloads and all malware that try to inject via malicious sites.
- By accident, if you open any unsafe website, then it warns you.
- It blocks all annoying ad trackings too.
- Suppose if you mistype a URL, then it redirects you to the correct site.
- Further, it blocks you form sending and receiving of all malicious email attachments.
- Wifi Security Scan:
- Suppose if you connect to a weak wifi network that has no strong protection. Then hackers can steal all your personal data. But our Avast Wifi Security feature gives no chance to hackers. And blocks them at the entrance.
- Wifi Intruder Alerts (Premium Feature):
- It provides you instant alerts when someone joins your Wifi network. And throws out all hackers who try to enter your Wifi network.
- And blocks your neighbors too who try to use your wifi without your notice.
- Ransomware Shields (Premium Feature).
Popularity of Avast
- More than 400 million users around the world.
- It provides real-time intelligence to know about new and current threats.
- It blocks more than 66 million of new and current threats each day.
Price and Plans of Avast Premium Security for Mac
The cost of its premium plan is $39.99 for 1 Mac and for one year. And is $49.95 for 10 devices.
- Also Read: Free Method to Convert FLAC to MP3 on Mac with FLAC to MP3 Mac
- How to Remove unwanted objects from photos on Mac
4. Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac
Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac(40% Discounted Link) is the most trusted and most awarded security software. It has welcome features like webcam protection and Smart VPN. Further, it scored top marks in the area of protecting Mac against malware infections in the latest reports of AV Tests.
You can use its premium version for 3 Macs. If you use it on 3 Macs, then you can minimize your budget expense. But if you want ‘Parental Web Control’, then you have to buy its higher plans.
Key Features of Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac at a glance
- It blocks crypto lockers, viruses, and other malware.
- It provides a smart and secure VPN for your Mac.
- It blocks webcam spies when you go live on your cam.
- It provides bank-grade encryption to protect your payments.
- It can too provide Advanced Parental Controls to you.
- And more.
Price and Plans of Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac
The cost of its premium plan is $23.99 for 1 Mac and for 1 year. And is $47.98 for 1 Mac and for 2 Year. 3 Mac One-year plan costs $35.99. 3 Mac 2 Year’s plan costs $71.99.
5. Systweak Anti-Malware for Mac
Systweak Anti-Malware for Mac gives complete protection against malware. It is easy to use. And yet high in the protection of your Mac against adware, spyware, trojan, and other malware. Just download, install and run it. And you can relax. Then it secures your Mac against all malicious threats. Just go through the features that turn you to use it forever.
Key Features of Systweak Anti-Malware for Mac at a glance
- 1 click to finish all.
- Just you give one click to scan your Mac for malware, spyware, adware, and virus.
- Quarantine all.
- It is quick in identifying any malicious threats that hide on your Mac. And quarantines all of such threats.
- It provides all-round malware security to your Mac. That is, it protects your Mac against any type of malware that comes in any way such as via email, online, and more.
- 4 scans.
- It provides 4 types of scan options to scan your Mac. Those are Deep Scan, Quick Scan, Scheduled Scan, and Startup Scan.
- Finish those slow down your Mac.
- It removes all infected files that slow down your Mac.
- Security to your Browser.
- It scans and detects suspicious browser extensions and add-ons if any.
- And more.
Popularity of Systweak
- It has more than 266 million users around the world.
- It provides apps to all devices that support macOS, Windows, Andriod, and iOS.
Price and Plans of Systweak Anti-Malware for Mac
The cost of its premium plan is $49.95 for 1 Mac for one year. You can also buy its premium plan for more than one Mac.
6. Sophos Home For Mac:
Sophos Home is another popular antivirus that protects your Mac against all malware. It comes in free and premium versions. Its free version consists of all features that are in the premium version. But after 30 days of usage, some of the features will expire in its free version.
Key Features of Sophos Home for Mac at a glance
- Real-Time guard:
- It is effective to block all types of Mac malware like ransomware, trojans, worms, viruses, bots and more.
- It works and blocks those in real-time.
- It too blocks all potentially unused and unwanted apps.
- Parental web control:
- Being a parent, you can control the online view of your children. And you can too restrict the view of some websites.
- Special in Online protection:
- It efficiently utilizes the vast SophosLabs blacklist database. And stops connections to compromised and dangerous sites.
- No more encryptions:
- It blocks the latest and current ransomware that try to encrypt your drives and files.
- Don’t bother at all about Privacy:
- It stops all apps and hackers from accessing your webcam, microphone, and personal data. Oh Great! This is a must for each one.
- Free plus 3 plus 30 days free trial:
- Though it is free, you can use it for 3 Macs.
- And you can too get 30 days free trial. In this period, it consists of all premium features.
- After 30 days of use, you can switch to its premium version. Or you can continue with its free version.
- 8 AM to 8 PM:
- It provides support to you from 8 AM to 8 PM, Monday to Friday, via live email and chat. You can too use its support in your 30 days free trial period.
Popularity of Sophos Home
- Macworld Editors’ Choice 2019 is given a review that it is the most extensive and up to date approach to fight malware at an unbeatable price.
- In the AV test, Sophos Intercept X Advanced prevented 99.9% of the malware with 0 false alarms.
Price and Plans of Sophos Home for Mac
The cost of its premium plan is $36 for 10 macOS devices for 1 year. And is $72 for 10 macOS devices for 2 years.
7.Antivirus Zap for Mac
Antivirus Zap is available for a fraction of the cost when compared to all the antivirus programs mentioned here. A fraction of cost doesn’t mean that it has fewer features, that where you are wrong. It offers robust protection for the price you are paying which is ₹599. Unlike other antivirus programs where you need to download the antivirus program from an external site, Antivirus Zap is directly available on the Mac app store ready to download.
The list of features is quite less but it detects almost all the latest viruses and malware on the system. The only downfall we noticed is that it lacks real-time protection. It also doesn’t delete the applications containing viruses as it will show you a list of files affected with viruses and malware which you need to delete yourself. We really recommend our users to give this application a try.
- Also Read: 3 Ways to Change IP address on Mac
- Parallels Desktop For Mac Helps You To Run Windows On Your Mac
8.Malwarebytes for Mac: Best Malware removal for Mac
Malwarebytes is one of the most downloaded windows malware protection tools. Malwarebytes for Mac started its journey as adware removal software for Mac which is now a full-fledged malware removal tool for Mac. It is one of the easiest ways to scan your Mac for any malware or viruses, Just hit scan and relax. It is lightweight, compact, and uses fewer resources as well.
It is effective to crush the growing threat of Mac malware. Thereby, your Mac is protected and your macOS device runs silky smooth. And avoids hassle on you. Further, it improves your cybersecurity too. Just go through the stunning features of it. These features emphasize to you how strong it is.
Key Features of Malwarebytes for Mac at a glance
Some of the key features of the product are:
- Finish in less than 30 seconds.
- It finishes the scan of your Mac in just less than 30 seconds.
- Advanced Anti-Malware Tech in real-time.
- It uses advanced anti-malware tech to remove ransomware, viruses, and other malware in real-time.
- Crushes all hassles.
- It crushes adware and any strong unwanted programs that slow down your Mac.
- Blocks at the entrance.
- It blocks all apps that try to bypass the security. And protects your Mac against malware, adware, and more produced by such apps.
- Light and Lean.
- Oh! It is so light and occupies a less disk space just like a 3 music files require.
Popularity of Malwarebytes
- More than 187 million Malwarebytes scans happen each month.
- Each day it detects and blocks more than 8 million threats.
- Each day it is installed more than 2,47,000 times.
- It is absolutely the best anti-malware and anti-ransomware program.
Price and Plans of Malwarebytes for Mac
The cost of its premium plan is $39.99 for 1 macOS device for 1 year. And is $49.99 for 2 macOS devices for 1 year. And is $87.48 for 1 macOS device for 2 years.
It provides 1 and 2 years plans for 1 and more than 1 macOS device.
9. Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac : Bitdefender remove Malware?
Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac (Special Discounted Link) is the ultimate solution for Mac users like you. As it is the efficient one to protect your Mac from malware and ransomware attacks. Further, it provides a free VPN too. Besides, it is the top scorer in all formats in the latest reports of AV tests.
If you feel its adware is not at all a problem for you, then you can give first preference to it. Further, it permits you to use its 30 days of a free trial. And you can enjoy its premium features during this period.
Key Features of Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac at a glance
- 100% score:
- It got a 100% score in blocking Mac malware in the latest reports of AV Tests.
- Free VPN:
- You can too get a free VPN with its premium version. And it provides additional security to your Mac when you surf.
- Multi-layer tech:
- It provides multi-layers of protection to block ransomware.
- You can use the Time machine protection option to back up your important files. As it keeps your files secure and free from ransomware attacks.
- It provides you the ‘Safe Files’ option. You can use it as a vault. And you can save sensitive data files in it. If you save those files in it, then no hacker can touch those files.
- It blocks and removes annoying adware.
- It provides your Mac a new feature ‘Anti-Tracker’. And it blocks all trackers if any.
- It too has the anti-pishing feature.
- And more.
Popularity of Bitdefender
- It has more than 500 million users around the world.
- It scored 100% in the area of Mac anti-malware protection in recent AV test in June 2019.
Price and Plans of Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac
The cost of its premium plan is $19.99 for one Mac and for one year. And is $29.99 for 3 Macs for one year. And is $41.99 for two years for 1 Mac. And is $53.99 for 3 Macs for two years. And is $53.99 for one Mac and is $71.99 for 3 Macs for 3 years. You can too buy its plan for more than one Mac.
10. Trend Micro Maximum Security for Mac
Trend Micro Maximum Security (Special Discounted Link) has a notable feature ransomware protection. And can be used up to 5 and 10 Macs. Though its premium is a little expensive, you can use it for 5 and 10 Macs. You and your loved ones or friends can share the expense. If you purchase it for 10 Macs, then you can save your budget.
In the latest reports of AV tests, it scored 100% marks in all formats. You can too get the ‘Parental web control’ option. Further, you can secure mobile devices.
Key Features of Trend Micro Maximum Security for Mac at a glance
- XGen Security:
- Oh Great! It uses XGen Security technology for your Mac. And blocks all ever-evolving malware threats.
- Folder shield:
- Wow! It provides a special Folder Shield to store your valuable data files. And safeguards those files which you stored in that folder.
- Blocks anyone that attack your Mac:
- It blocks all ransomware, viruses, dangerous sites, identity thieves, and more. And keeps your Mac safe.
- Single Protection for all devices:
- You can use it to protect your Mac, PC, and mobile devices too.
- It guards you against phishing emails.
- It provides parental web control to safeguard your child.
- You can manage your passwords with ease and safety.
- And more.
Price and Plans of Trend Micro Maximum Security for Mac
The cost of its premium plan is $39.95 for 5 Macs for one year. And is $69.90 for 5 Macs two years plan.
Best Free Antivirus for Mac | Free Anti malware for Mac
We provided this article in the form of a Video Tutorial for our reader’s convenience. If you are interested in reading, skip the video for now and watch it after the completion of reading this article.4
Since a free antivirus will not give you complete real-time protection, We don’t recommend using a free antivirus. We suggest Intego Mac Internet Security (60% discounted link) which gives the best protection for Mac.
The following are the 5 best free antivirus software for Mac that you can use for your Mac to protect it against all threats.
1. Avast Security for Mac: Best Free antivirus software for Mac
Avast is the world’s largest security network with more than 400 million users around the world. Though it has such popularity, it continues to provide free antivirus to its millions of users to protect against threats. And now you join and use its free version to protect your Mac. It provides remarkable features in its free version. Those features are just enough to protect your Mac in real-time against all threats.
Key features of Avast Security for Mac (Free Version) at a glance
The Avast Free Mac Security has 3 main features. These 3 features protect your Mac against various threats. Those 3 features are.
- Anti-Malware Security.
- Web and Email Shields.
- Wi-Fi Security Scan.
Anti-Malware Security (Real-Time):
Under this, you can see the following protection technology.
- Real-Time Protection.
- Total Malware Detection.
- Removable Drive Scan.
- Real-Time Security Updates.
- Full, Custom, and Scheduled Scans.
After seeing the above, you can say, it is effective to block viruses, trojans, spyware, and other malware in real-time. And that is not the end. And it too scans your full Mac to delete any hidden threats. And more.
Web and Email Shields:
Under this, it provides three sub protection levels to your Mac. Those are.
- Web Shield.
- It protects your Mac against malicious websites.
- And stops any dangerous downloads from the web.
- Email Shield.
- It stops you to send and receive of malicious email attachments.
- Online Security.
- By accident, suppose you browse any unsafe sites. Then it warns you of those unsafe sites.
- It stops all annoying ad tracks. Oh! It’s really a great relief!
- Suppose if you mistype the address of a site, then it safely takes you the correct site.
Wi-Fi Security Scan:
Whenever you connect to a Wi-Fi network, then it scans the entire network and all connected devices. And stops hackers, if any, those who try to steal your personal data. Oh! This is an essential thing required for all!
Cons of Avast Security for Mac (Free Version)
- Its free version lacks two notable features. The first one is it can’t provide you instant alerts when you connect to weak Wi-Fi. And gives no alters too about intruders.
- The second one is it can’t stop ransomware.
2. AVG Antivirus for Mac:
AVG Antivirus for Mac is completely free antivirus software that protects your Mac against malware. Though it is free, it consists of major features like real-time protection, online protection, malware protection, and more.
Key Features of AVG for Mac at a glance
- Triple Protection:
- It protects not only your macOS device but also your PC and Andriod.
- It protects all three devices against malware like spyware, viruses, and more.
- Always-On and never quits:
- It silently runs in the background. And gives real-time protection.
- Each time when you open, save or copy a file, then it scans automatically. But you will never know this. That much silent it is.
- Online Protection.
- It aids you to surf and email safely.
- It blocks all malicious sites, dangerous downloads, and dangerous email attachments.
- You just sit back and relax. As it updates automatically.
- Though it is a free antivirus, it updates time to time to protect your Mac against all new and current Malware threats.
Popularity of AVG
- Free Anti-virus support for any device.
- It has more than 200 million users around the world.
Price and Plans of AVG Antivirus for Mac
Always free products have some limitations. We suggest you go with the AVG Internet Security Unlimited (20% Discounted Link) which give you complete for unlimited devices.
3. Avira Free Antivirus for Mac: Is Avira for Mac safe?
Avira is also a popular free antivirus downloaded by millions of users around the world and trusted by the industry. Now you can use its free application ‘Avira Free Antivirus for Mac’ to protect your Mac. It is a simple and elegant solution for your online security.
Wow! It is ultra-light, ultra-simple, and ultra-effective. That is it is too easy to use and powerful in action.
It won AV-Test’s Top Product award in 2019. It gains this award for maintaining the first position in the following three categories.
- And Usability.
Key features of Avira Free Antivirus for Mac at a glance
- Real-Time Protection against ransomware and adware.
- Automated Real-Time Security updates.
- It protects your Mac against all online threats like trojans, spyware, viruses, and more.
- It quarantines all suspicious files on your Mac with safe.
- It uploads unknown files if any, to its ‘Protection Cloud’. And AI technology inspects those files.
- It’s Browser Safety Tool blocks annoying banners on sites. And guards you against infected sites and phishing attacks. And it too stops cybercriminals to gain access to your system.
- You can scan your USB drives too.
Cons of Avira Free Antivirus for Mac
Its free version lacks some features like new ransomware technology, browsing, and more.
4. Bitdefender Virus Scanner for Mac: Does Bitdefender work with Mac?
Bitdefender Virus Scanner for Mac detects Mac malware and Windows viruses too with ease and fast. It scans deep into all locations of your PC. And protects your Mac against malware. It provides the free version ‘Bitdefender Virus Scanner for Mac’. You can use this free version to give full protection to your Mac.
Key features of Bitdefender Virus Scanner for Mac at a glance
- It finds both OS X malware and Windows viruses.
- Just before each scan, it updates to find the latest malware. And it updates for each hour to get the newest viruses signatures.
- It scans all critical locations if any, that are prone to infections.
- It searches for malware even in archives. And also in various types of files like pdf, zip, .rar, and more.
- It scans all running apps.
- It quarantines all dangerous files.
- It permits the drag & drop option to scan your files and folders.
- It provides an option to exclude files and folders from the scan.
- It is easy to use.
Cons of Bitdefender Virus Scanner for Mac
Its free version lacks many features like multi-layer ransomware protection, full real-time protection, and more.
5. Sophos Home Free: Best Free anti malware for Mac
Sophos Home Free is just another popular antivirus that protects both your Mac and PC. It provides you its free version plus 30 days premium free trial. Oh Great! After the completion of 30 days of a free trial, you can upgrade to its premium version. Or you can continue to use its free version. Though it is a free version, it has the most mixed and nice features.
Just go through its features as given below. Then you can definitely use it and stick to it.
Key features of Sophos Home Free at a glance
- It protects your Mac against Mac malware, bots, worms, ransomware, potentially unwanted apps, and more.
- Parental web filtering.
- It permits you to restrict, block, and filter sites. You can control your child from the view of restricted sites. It gives full web filtering power to you. Wow! It’s really a needed thing.
- Full Web Safeguard.
- It effectively uses the vast SophosLabs blacklist database. And blocks connections to dangerous sites.
- Everest in Anti-Ransomware Technology.
- It is a powerful tool to block even the latest ransomware. And avoids encryption of files and data.
- Full Privacy for you.
- It blocks all apps if any, that access to your webcam, microphone, and data without your notice.
- Not 1 but 3 Protective Devices.
- You can use its free version to protect your macOS devices up to 3. Wow! That made all users as you turn into it. And make use of it ever.
- And more.
Cons of Sophos Home Free
- Its free version may lose certain features after the completion of the 30 days free trial. Those are Ransomware Security, Privacy Protection, and more.
- Its free version may contain ads.
6. Malwarebytes for Mac:
Malwarebytes for Mac is a light and lean antivirus that effectively removes adware and unwanted programs. It occupies the space of just 3 digital music files. Though it is light, it is effective in its operation. It provides a 14 days trial version to protect your Mac against all threats.
Key features of Malwarebytes for Mac at a glance
- Finishes in less than 15 seconds.
- It scans your Mac in less than 15 seconds.
- It is proactive in blocking adware and unwanted programs.
- Real-time with Latest Technology.
- With its latest tech, it detects and removes malware in real-time.
- It is effective to block viruses, spyware, trojans, and more.
- It updates to the latest tech automatically.
- And more.
Cons of Malwarebytes for Mac
- After completion of its 14 days free trial, it consists of only one feature. That is, ‘cleaning infected Mac’. And it loses all its other features.
- That is, after a free trial, you need to upgrade to its premium version to regain its lost features.
Conclusion: Which is the most recommended antivirus for Mac?
You can use Intego Mac Internet Security (60% Discounted Link) or Intego Mac premium bundle (65% Discounted Link).
Hope this guide on 5 Best antivirus software for Mac helped you choose the best from the list. Do comment on your favorite antivirus product in the comments below. If you think the content is helpful then do share the guide with your friends and family. Want more tips, Please follow whatvwant on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
Best Antivirus software for Mac? – FAQ
Do Macs need antivirus software?
Do Macs have built-in antivirus?
Yes. Gatekeeper and XProtect will work upto some extent.
Does Apple recommend antivirus for Mac?
Yes. Apple recommends using antivirus for hardening your security.
Which is the best antivirus or anti-malware for Mac?
We recommend Intego Mac Internet security.
Is there a free antivirus for Mac?
Yes. You can find many free antivirus software on the web for Mac. Among the many, you have to choose the best one. In this article, we have discussed the best 5 free antivirus software.
Is the free version of antivirus for mac is safe?
Yes. But it doesn’t provide more facilities than the premium versions.
Can a Mac get a virus from a website?
Yes. It is possible to infect your Mac by visiting malicious websites.
Are a virus and malware the same thing?
No. A virus is one type of malware. In other words, it is a piece of malware.
What are the differences between the virus and Malware?
All types of malicious software like adware, spyware, Ransomware, virus, etc.. are called as malware. Virus is just a part of malware.
What are the different types of Malware?
Viruses, Worms, Ransomware, Adware, Spyware, Scareware, Fileless malware, Trojan horses, Rootkit, and Phishing.