Want to give the Best virus protection for your Mac? You must use any one of these Best antivirus software for Mac. Here is the list of Free and premium antivirus software for Mac.
Mac OS is one of the most secure operating systems developed by Apple. There are different versions of Mac OS with different names. When you compare the stats of infected devices, Mac OS will be the least affected in many scenarios. It is because Apple took all the outcomes into consideration and also provided regular software updates patching the flaws if found any. There are instances where you might download a pirated version of the software which is coupled with the virus. You won’t be having any clue about it, right?
Apple is taking measures to make Mac OS as the most secure operating system, but attackers find ways and developing new types of malware and viruses to affect your system. If there is any potential breach then Apple immediately finds a fix and issues an update. What if you don’t update your mac regularly? I bet that most of you won’t update mac regularly due to many reasons, Maybe it will take too much time or you are always on the run. In these instances, you are potentially at risk which you are completely unaware of.
To overcome these situations and keep you safe from all the latest malware and viruses, We are preparing this list of Top Antivirus Products for Mac. This list contains the programs which we personally used on our macs before preparing this guide. So let’s dive into our guide on the best Antivirus software for Mac.
- Also Read: 8 Ways That You Can Prevent hacking of Your Computer,Mac & Online Activity
- 3 Ways How I Hide My IP address (Change IP Of Mac/Windows)
Table of Contents
Do I Need Antivirus for Mac? Do Macs need Virus Protection?
Yes. In practice, the macOS is capable to block just a few malware variants and viruses. But it can’t block all. And it doesn’t do anything if files are infected with malware. In such a case, you must depend on the antivirus. These antiviruses protect your macOS against viruses, Trojans, spyware, and other malware in real-time.
In older days there was no virus that could affect the Mac. But today hackers are continuously developing malware which could even target MacOS. Malware is not a single software. Malware is any kind of malicious software. Malware might be developed to damage your files or to spy on you by recording keystrokes, or stealing your files, credit card details or etc.,
The growing rate of Mac malware is very in recent years. According to the AV-TEST report malware for macOS has almost tripled. Of course, it is still very low compare to Windows malware.
Earlier malware was just deleting the files and displaying blank screens. But to malware was mainly designed to steal your money. They target your credit or debit information, credentials for a service or website or online banking.
What Should I do to stop Malware from downloading?
You need to download any kind of software from a reliable website only. Apple’s Mac App Store is a safe place to download any software or app for your Mac. Even there were some incidents where Appstore apps were affected with malware.
New Apple devices with some good updates can partially protect from data leaks but not completely protect you from the latest malware like Spectre and Meltdown. Older devices are not safe at all.
What is the MacOS Built-in protection
MacOS has limited protection against some types of malware. Let us see what kind of protection MacOS can offer.
Gatekeeper is an app verification protection developed to protect you from malicious appls. You can make changes in Security & Privacy settings to donwload apps only from App Store or App Store and identified developers who have added appled approved signature to their apps.
You can override these settings when any one app was blocked.
There are so many latest malware which can bypass this Gatekeeper. Apple released the patch to the most recent Gatekeeper bypass. But still you might face risk with new malware.
XProtect: Apple’s malware detection engine
XProtect is a malware detection engine developed by Apple. It is signature-based tool. It detects some types of malware after downloading on to your Mac.
Even Mac has Malware Removal Tool (MRT) that removes the malicious software already present on your Mac.
XProtect will work only when you download a file from Safari, Messages, or Mail apps. It cannot work when you download files from other browsers, from other file servers, or from FTP, or from cloud storage like Dropbox, etc.,
Apple takes a long time to update XProtect and they only include signatures for some kind of malware. Whereas Anti-malware software like Intego Mac Internet Security (50% Discounted Link) updates their malware signatures as soon as they discovered the new threats to MacOS.
Best Antivirus Software for Mac
All the antivirus products which we recommended below will have two versions which are free and paid. We advise you to test the free versions before opting for a paid subscription. We also strongly recommend users not to download any cracked version of antivirus programs, It is plain stupid downloading a cracked version of an antivirus program which you are going to use to protect your computer. In case if you are using any antivirus program in the below list, then do leave a review of the product below no matter if it is a good experience or a bad one.
1.Intego Mac Internet Security X9
Intego Mac Internet Security X9(50% Discounted Link) is the most downloaded Mac Antivirus to date. It is the Best antivirus software for Mac. It is specifically designed, developed for the Mac ecosystem. Unlike other antivirus applications on the market that offers products for both Windows and Mac, Intego is a dedicated solution for Mac users.
There are many amazing features in the application that will make you stop thinking about future malware or virus attacks. We are happy to say that Intego is the leader of the bunch. Some of the key features of the application are
- Scheduled and Real-Time protection.
- Automatically scans external drives when they are connected to the system.
- Email notifications when it finds malware.
- Scans archived files as well.
- Can even scan and remove viruses from your iOS devices and many more.
You can either buy a 1 year or 2-year subscription. If you want to test it before buying, then they are offering a free trial as well. They will also bundle the antivirus with a NetBarrier X9 which protects your Mac from unauthorized access. If you are an Intego Mac Internet Security product user then do let us know your review in the comment section below.
2.Norton Security for Mac
Norton is the oldest name in the antivirus markets. They offer solutions for both windows & mac and they do a pretty good job at it. If you had used the Norton antivirus in the past then I bet that you will be leaning towards it already. Norton Security for Mac is a lightweight yet powerful antivirus program for Mac. It did compete well with the other antivirus programs we tested. There are a plethora of features that will make your life even simpler. Some of the key features of the antivirus are
- Safari plugins for safe browsing and password keeping.
- Protection against ransomware and spyware.
- Parental controls.
- Cross-device compatibility and much more.
There are three variants of the antivirus which are standard, deluxe and premium. Standard offers minimal features whereas Premium offers extra features with cloud storage as well. You can even try the trial version before buying the subscription. If you are a Norton user then do let us know your review in the comment section below.
- Also Read: Free Method to Convert FLAC to MP3 on Mac with FLAC to MP3 Mac
- How to Remove unwanted objects from photos on Mac
3.Sophos Antivirus for Mac
Sophos Antivirus for Mac(20% Discounted Link) has an undue advantage as it offers premium features in the free version as well. Although some of the features like live support will be unavailable for 30 days of a free trial. After the expiry of the trial period, you will be left with all the features that are needed to protect your mac from antivirus and malware. If you don’t like spending on antivirus then Sophos is your choice. Some of the key features of the program are
- Parental Web Filtering.
- Remote Management.
- Advanced Ransomware protection.
- Live email and chat support.
- Many more.
It is a minimalist application which won’t consume your screen space or distract you while you are working. You can always opt to buy the premium subscription of the application anytime you want. We tried both the free and premium versions, they live up to their promises. If you are a Sophos user then do let us know your review in the comment section below.
4.Antivirus Zap for Mac
Antivirus Zap is available for a fraction of the cost when compared to all the antivirus programs mentioned here. A fraction of cost doesn’t mean that it has fewer features, that where you are wrong. It offers robust protection for the price you are paying which is ₹599. Unlike other antivirus programs where you need to download the antivirus program from an external site, Antivirus Zap is directly available on the Mac app store ready to download.
The list of features is quite less but it detects almost all the latest viruses and malware on the system. The only downfall we noticed is that it lacks real-time protection. It also doesn’t delete the applications containing viruses as it will show you a list of files affected with viruses and malware which you need to delete yourself. We really recommend our users to give this application a try.
- Also Read: 3 Ways to Change IP address on Mac
- Parallels Desktop For Mac Helps You To Run Windows On Your Mac
5.Malwarebytes for Mac
Malwarebytes is one of the most downloaded windows malware protection tool. Malwarebytes for Mac started its journey as adware removal software for Mac which is now a full-fledged malware removal tool for Mac. It is one of the easiest ways to scan your Mac for any malware or viruses, Just hit scan and relax. It is lightweight, compact, and uses fewer resources as well. Some of the key features of the product are
- Takes an average of 30 seconds to scan your Mac.
- Removes adware and malware.
- Protection against ransomware.
- Advanced anti-malware technology and many more.
It is the best malware removal tool available for mac. You can always try the free version before deciding whether you need to buy the premium version or not. If you are a Malwarebytes user then do let us know via comments below.
You can also check Our Malwarebytes discount coupon page for the latest offers.
5 Best Free Antivirus for Mac
Since a free antivirus will not give you complete real-time protection, We don’t recommend using a free antivirus. We suggest Intego Mac Internet Security (60% discounted link) which gives the best protection for Mac.
The following are the 5 best free antivirus software for Mac that you can use for your Mac to protect it against all threats.
1. Avast Security for Mac: Best Free antivirus software for Mac
Avast is the world’s largest security network with more than 400 million users around the world. Though it has such popularity, it continues to provide free antivirus to its millions of users to protect against threats. And now you join and use its free version to protect your Mac. It provides remarkable features in its free version. Those features are just enough to protect your Mac in real-time against all threats.
Key features of Avast Security for Mac (Free Version) at a glance
The Avast Free Mac Security has 3 main features. These 3 features protect your Mac against various threats. Those 3 features are.
- Anti-Malware Security.
- Web and Email Shields.
- Wi-Fi Security Scan.
Anti-Malware Security (Real-Time):
Under this, you can see the following protection technology.
- Real-Time Protection.
- Total Malware Detection.
- Removable Drive Scan.
- Real-Time Security Updates.
- Full, Custom, and Scheduled Scans.
After seeing the above, you can say, it is effective to block viruses, trojans, spyware, and other malware in real-time. And that is not the end. And it too scans your full Mac to delete any hidden threats. And more.
Web and Email Shields:
Under this, it provides three sub protection levels to your Mac. Those are.
- Web Shield.
- It protects your Mac against malicious websites.
- And stops any dangerous downloads from the web.
- Email Shield.
- It stops you to send and receive of malicious email attachments.
- Online Security.
- By accident, suppose you browse any unsafe sites. Then it warns you of those unsafe sites.
- It stops all annoying ad tracks. Oh! It’s really a great relief!
- Suppose if you mistype the address of a site, then it safely takes you the correct site.
Wi-Fi Security Scan:
Whenever you connect to a Wi-Fi network, then it scans the entire network and all connected devices. And stops hackers, if any, those who try to steal your personal data. Oh! This is an essential thing required for all!
Cons of Avast Security for Mac (Free Version)
- Its free version lacks two notable features. The first one is it can’t provide you instant alerts when you connect to weak Wi-Fi. And gives no alters too about intruders.
- The second one is it can’t stop ransomware.
Price, Plans, and Discount of Avast Security for Mac
2. Avira Free Antivirus for Mac: Is Avira for Mac safe?
Avira is also a popular free antivirus downloaded by millions of users around the world and trusted by the industry. Now you can use its free application ‘Avira Free Antivirus for Mac’ to protect your Mac. It is a simple and elegant solution for your online security.
Wow! It is ultra-light, ultra-simple, and ultra-effective. That is it is too easy to use and powerful in action.
It won AV-Test’s Top Product award in 2019. It gains this award for maintaining the first position in the following three categories.
- And Usability.
Key features of Avira Free Antivirus for Mac at a glance
- Real-Time Protection against ransomware and adware.
- Automated Real-Time Security updates.
- It protects your Mac against all online threats like trojans, spyware, viruses, and more.
- It quarantines all suspicious files on your Mac with safe.
- It uploads unknown files if any, to its ‘Protection Cloud’. And AI technology inspects those files.
- It’s Browser Safety Tool blocks annoying banners on sites. And guards you against infected sites and phishing attacks. And it too stops cybercriminals to gain access to your system.
- You can scan your USB drives too.
Cons of Avira Free Antivirus for Mac
Its free version lacks some features like new ransomware technology, browsing, and more.
Price and Plans of Avira Antivirus for Mac
The cost of its pro plan is just $2.99 for 1 month. And is $31.99 for 1 year. And is $53.99 for 2 years. And is $72.99 for 3 years.
You can also buy its plan for 3 and 5 devices too. Just click ‘Price and Plans of Avira’ to know the full details on its plans, prices, and deals.
3. Bitdefender Virus Scanner for Mac: Does Bitdefender work with Mac?
Bitdefender Virus Scanner for Mac detects Mac malware and Windows viruses too with ease and fast. It scans deep into all locations of your PC. And protects your Mac against malware. It provides the free version ‘Bitdefender Virus Scanner for Mac’. You can use this free version to give full protection to your Mac.
Key features of Bitdefender Virus Scanner for Mac at a glance
- It finds both OS X malware and Windows viruses.
- Just before each scan, it updates to find the latest malware. And it updates for each hour to get the newest viruses signatures.
- It scans all critical locations if any, that are prone to infections.
- It searches for malware even in archives. And also in various types of files like pdf, zip, .rar, and more.
- It scans all running apps.
- It quarantines all dangerous files.
- It permits the drag & drop option to scan your files and folders.
- It provides an option to exclude files and folders from the scan.
- It is easy to use.
Cons of Bitdefender Virus Scanner for Mac
Its free version lacks many features like multi-layer ransomware protection, full real-time protection, and more.
Price, Plans, and Discount of Bitdefender Virus Scanner for Mac
The cost of its premium plan is $19.99 for 1 Mac for 1 year. And is $29.99 for 3 Macs for 1 year. And is $48.99 for 1 Mac for 2 years. And is $62.99 for 1 Mac for 3 years. Our readers get a special discount on Bitdefender products through This Bitdefender discount coupon page.
4. Sophos Home Free: Is Sophos Free for Mac?
Sophos Home Free is just another popular antivirus that protects both your Mac and PC. It provides you its free version plus 30 days premium free-trial. Oh Great! After completion of 30 days of a free trial, you can upgrade to its premium version. Or you can continue to use its free version. Though it is a free version, it has the most mixed and nice features.
Just go through its features as given below. Then you can definitely use it and stick to it.
Key features of Sophos Home Free at a glance
- It protects your Mac against Mac malware, bots, worms, ransomware, potentially unwanted apps, and more.
- Parental web filtering.
- It permits you to restrict, block, and filter sites. You can control your child from the view of restricted sites. It gives full web filtering power to you. Wow! It’s really a needed thing.
- Full Web Safeguard.
- It effectively uses the vast SophosLabs blacklist database. And blocks connections to dangerous sites.
- Everest in Anti-Ransomware Technology.
- It is a powerful tool to block even the latest ransomware. And avoids encryption of files and data.
- Full Privacy for you.
- It blocks all apps if any, that access to your webcam, microphone, and data without your notice.
- Not 1 but 3 Protective Devices.
- You can use its free version to protect your macOS devices up to 3. Wow! That made all users as you turn into it. And make use of it ever.
- And more.
Cons of Sophos Home Free
- Its free version may lose certain features after the completion of the 30 days free trial. Those are Ransomware Security, Privacy Protection, and more.
- Its free version may contain ads.
Price and Plans of Sophos Home Premium
The cost of its premium version is ₹1,874.25 for 1 year for 10 macOS and Windows devices. And it’s ₹3,248.70 for 2 years. And its 3 years plan at ₹4,123.35.
5. Malwarebytes for Mac: Best Malware removal for Mac
Malwarebytes for Mac is a light and lean antivirus that effectively removes adware and unwanted programs. It occupies the space of just 3 digital music files. Though it is light, it is effective in its operation. It provides a 14 days trial version to protect your Mac against all threats.
Key features of Malwarebytes for Mac at a glance
- Finishes in less than 15 seconds.
- It scans your Mac in less than 15 seconds.
- It is proactive in blocking adware and unwanted programs.
- Real-time with Latest Technology.
- With its latest tech, it detects and removes malware in real-time.
- It is effective to block viruses, spyware, trojans, and more.
- It updates to the latest tech automatically.
- And more.
Cons of Malwarebytes for Mac
- After completion of its 14 days free trial, it consists of only one feature. That is, ‘cleaning infected Mac’. And it loses all its other features.
- That is, after a free trial, you need to upgrade to its premium version to regain its lost features.
Price, Plans, and Discount of Malwarebytes for Mac
The cost of its premium plan is $39.99 for one year for one Mac device. And is $59.99 for two years for one Mac device. You might get a special discount on our Malwarebytes discount coupon page.
Conclusion: Which is the Best antivirus software for Mac?
As far as we know Intego Mac Internet security(60% Discounted Link) is the best. Because they are dedicated for Mac and they have been in the Mac industry for a long time. You can also use MacPaw Cleanmymac which will help you to boost your Mac speed.
Hope this guide on 5 Best antivirus software for Mac helped you choose the best from the list. Do comment on your favorite antivirus product in the comments below. If you think the content is helpful then do share the guide with your friends and family. Want more tips, Please follow whatvwant on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
Best Antivirus software for Mac? – FAQ
Do Macs need antivirus software?
Do Macs have built-in antivirus?
Yes. Gatekeeper and XProtect will work upto some extent.
Does Apple recommend antivirus for Mac?
Yes. Apple recommends using antivirus for hardening your security.
Which is the best antivirus for Mac?
We recommend Intego Mac Internet security.
Is there a free antivirus for Mac?
Yes. You can find many free antivirus software on the web for Mac. Among the many, you have to choose the best one. In this article, we have discussed the best 5 free antivirus software.
Is free version of antivirus for mac is safe?
Yes. But it doesn’t provide more facilities than the premium versions.