Want to convert PDF files into a text file? PDF files are quite popular these days and are used a lot for transferring data. PDFs are flexible for reading and printing but editing is more difficult than you ever think. The difficulty in editing will be reduced if you use text file format. So sometimes, we need to convert the PDF into a text file which is very easy to edit.
This success of PDF files is because of its features and ability to put in almost any type of media into it. But getting access to all of these features makes PDF files much more complex and complicated to use. Another simple yet popular type of file is a .txt file or a text file that can hold nothing else other than simple text. These file formats are interchangeable and here’s how to do it.
How to Convert PDF file into a text file?
1). Copy – Paste Method
One of the most simple things you can do is to simply copy the text from the PDF file and paste it to a text file.
- Open the PDF file and copy all the text
- Open the Notepad in windows or any other word processor if you are using Mac
- Paste the copied text and save the file as a .txt file
This method is a bit of hassle but is suitable for people who do it once in a while.
Also Read –
- 4 Ways to Split PDF into multiple files (Online, Offline & Free)
- How to Combine files into PDF using Acrobat reader
2). Using pdftotext website
- Visit PDFtoText website from any web browser.
- Upload your PDF document you want to convert to text there.
- Once uploaded just click the Download All button and get your text files
3). Using Easy PDF to Text Converter
You can use this completely free application for doing it too!
- Download it from here ( Easy PDF to Text Converter )
- Install the app as you are guided by an install wizard.
- Click on Open and browse & find your desired PDF file
4. How to convert PDF to a text file on Mac using Acrobat
Adobe Acrobat DC Pro can convert your PDF file into plain text instantly and take care of the optical character recognition for you. You can edit the text however you wish, make any further changes, or you can copy the text and paste the text to any external apps also.
- Click on the File option from the top main menu.
- Select the PDF file that you want to convert to a Text file.
- Click on the ‘Tools’ tab from the top menu beside the Home tab.
- Now choose the ‘Export PDF’ option from the options available.
- Now select your PDF file by clicking on the button ‘Select PDF files to Export’.
- You can see ‘Convert To’ drop down with a lot of options in the list.
- Since we are going to convert PDF file to Text, choose ‘Rich Text Format Document (*.rtf)’. Now click on the button ‘Export to RTF’.
- Note that the button will change automatically based on the format you select in the drop-down menu.
- Suppose if you select a word, then the button will change to ‘Export to Word’, etc.
- You can also select multiple files by clicking on the ‘Add Files To Export’ button.
- That’s it you are done with your job of converting PDF to text.
- 7 Ways to Merge Multiple PDF Files Into One PDF Document
- Top 5 methods to Remove Watermark from PDF
- 6 Free Methods to Add A Signature to PDF online
5. Using Wondershare PDFelement ( Recommended )
This is the method I personally use and recommend this to you too. It works for both Windows and Mac.
Wondershare PDFelement is the cheap and best alternative to Adobe Acrobat reader. You can do everything to a PDF file with the PDFelement. If you are a regular user of PDf files, I recommend you try PDFelement. You can read our complete review of Wondershare PDFelement.
- Buy PDFelement or download the Free version from the official website. Install the software.
- Open PDFelement.
- Select the “Open File” option to open up the PDF file you want to convert to text.
- Once the file opens in the editor, click on the ‘ convert‘ option from the top of the window
- Select the “To text” option there and DONE!!!!