Want to Reset windows password? What to do if Windows can’t accept your password? Do you regret not making a password reset disc beforehand? At least now you may need to know How to create Windows 8 password reset disk. Sometimes losing a Windows password can result in dead-end frustration, so here I’m going to explain the common methods to reset Windows 10 / 8 / 7 password when you forgot it.
When you’re locked out of your own PC, check out these things first:
- Password Hint – When you typed a wrong password, the login screen should display the password hint you set before. Hopefully, the hint can help you recall the password.
- Caps Lock key – Windows passwords are case-sensitive. If your keyboard’s Caps Lock light is on, turn it off and try entering your password again.
- On-screen Keyboard – If your keyboard layout is changed or the Num Lock feature is activated, the password you entered is not what you wanted. Click the Ease of Access icon at the login screen, select On-screen Keyboard, and use it to type your password.
- Microsoft Account Password Reset – Couldn’t sign into Windows due to forgotten Microsoft account password? Just visit the Microsoft online password reset page from another PC, and you can reset it easily.
Still couldn’t log in? You might then need to use the following third-party Windows password recovery tools. Give it a try, you won’t regret using it.
Table of Contents
How to Reset Windows Password?
Method 1: Offline NT Password & Registry Editor
Offline NT Password & Registry Editor is the most popular freeware that could be used to clear Windows admin/user password. It’s a small Linux boot disk with a command-line interface.
Here’s how to use it to reset your forgotten password:
- Download the free CD image from Offline NT Password & Registry Editor’s official website.
- Next burn the CD image to an empty CD using your favorite CD burning program.
- Boot your PC from the CD. You might need to change the boot sequence in your computer’s BIOS. Read: How to change boot order to boot PC from CD/DVD/USB
- A black screen appears with white text, type the Enter key to boot normally.
- It will show all installed Windows systems in a numbered list. Type the number of the Windows you want to work on and press Enter.
- Type 1 and hit Enter to select Password reset [sam].
- Press Enter to choose Edit user data and passwords.
- The user’s list with their RID is shown, type the username or its RID with 0x as a prefix, for example 0x01f4. Then press the Enter key.
- Choose Clear (blank) user password.
- Type q letter and press Enter to quit.
- Type y and press Enter to save your change to registry hive.
- Now you’ve successfully reset your Windows password.
Method 2: Using PCUnocker
PCUnlocker (30% Discounted Link) is the most powerful & simple to use utility for resetting/bypassing Windows login password in case you forgot it. It supports all types of computer accounts: local account, Microsoft account and domain user. It is not free software. It is a premium software. When all the above methods fail, you must buy this software to reset the Windows password.
Here’s how to use it to reset lost Windows admin password:
- Use another working PC to download PCUnlocker Enterprise (30% discounted link) (distributed as zip format). Extract the ISO file from the downloaded .zip archive.
- Burn the ISO file to a CD or USB thumb drive using the freeware ISO2Disc.
- Boot your locked computer from the CD. When you see the PCUnlocker screen, select the local administrator account and click on the Reset Password button.
- In the popup dialog, click Yes to confirm. Your password will be reset successfully.
- Disconnect the USB thumb drive and reboot. You can get into your Windows system without password!
If you want to recover access to your system without altering the password, just click “Options” and select “Bypass Windows Password” option from within PCUnlocker, it allows you to bypass Windows logon temporarily.
If you want to recover the original password, you might need to use the free cracking tool Ophcrack. That’s it!
I hope this tutorial helped you to Reset Windows password. If yes, please share this article with your friends. Want more tech. tips, Please follow whatvwant on Facebook and Twitter. Subscribe to WhatVwant channel on YouTube for regular updates.