In this post you will be going to learn about best free and premium employee time tracking apps or software, why would you need it, which one to choose according to your requirement and the list of top 7 employee time clock apps.
Note: Almost every time clock app in this list has the free version and premium version. The free versions will give you limited features and limit you up to one user. You will barely find the free time clock app for employee tracking. It is best to go with premium apps and plans.
What is an employee time tracking software?
As the name suggests, employee time tracking software allows team leaders or HR to track the working time of their employees. The traditional method of monitoring employee activities using pen and register have outdated. Nowadays, every business (small or large) requires a modern and unbiased way to track what’s going in their organization. The time tracking software also called as employee monitoring software.
Why would you need an employee time clocking app?
These usage below defines the need for employee tracking software for any type of business or organization:
- To track the total active hours of the employee during office hours.
- To analyze the working capabilities of any employee.
- To transfer files in a highly secured way.
- To track the location of the employees in an office.
- To monitor what’s going on employee’s computer like a CCTV.
- To record the daily attendance of employees.
- To coordinate with team leaders, team members and any employee in an office and ensure that work is done before the deadline.
- To assigning tasks
- To manage deadlines by analyzing which job needs to be done on priority.
- To store all of the employee’s data in a single cloud server which can be access anytime.
- To submitting the progress report at the end of the working day.
- To calculate employees salary based on the active hours.
How to choose the best employee time tracking software in a quick way
There is plenty of employee monitoring software available in the market. To find the right tracking software for your organization, consider these steps below and make a decision accordingly.
- Figure out the number of employees you want to track in the organization. The total number will be reflecting the device count you want to subscribe during purchasing time.
- Figure out whether the cloud-based or premise-based solution would be suitable for your organization.
- Making your budget based on the number of employees
- Jot down the specific features you are looking for monitor employees.
- Look for the employee monitoring tool on the list above and decide which one would be the best according to your features list.
- After finalizing the software, sign up for its trial version and use for a few days, if it is comfortable and meet your requirements, purchase a monthly or annual plan.
List of best employee time tracking apps
By doing extensive research, I declare “Desktime” as a winner and will recommend first over other employee tracking software. However, if the pricing of “desktime” is a concern, you can consider these below software as an alternate.
1. Desktime: Best time clock for small business
Desktime was built by Draugiem Group back in 2011. Since then desktime has been giving its best to maintain companies employees and it is one of the top software among the industry. Desktime is a fully automatic tool to track the activities of the employees. Desktime developers claim that with the help of desktime features, you will notice a 30% hike in employees productivity.
- It allows us to track employees online and offline time.
- Desktime can automatically snap a screenshot of every pc in every 5,10,15 or 30 minutes.
- It automatically calculates the salary of those employees who are working on an hourly basis.
- With the use of private time option, desktime enable employees to quickly disabled tracking for work unrelated tasks such as washrooms, lunch break, personal phone conversation etc.
- By the document title tracking feature, employers know which files are in an active state and used by the employees—for example, Excel, word, photoshop etc.
- The desktime has inbuilt break time reminder function which notifies employees to take breaks during office hours.
- Not only tracking, but Desktime also has a feature to generate invoices and to remind clients about their bill due date.
- By having all contact information of employees in a single place, you don’t need to ask a colleague for another colleague email or contact number.
- You can always have the option to generate monthly reports for productivity status, work spent on specific programs/tasks etc.
- By absence calendar, employers can see who will be on vacation on a specific date, and employees can easily submit their upcoming holidays with a proper reason.
- The desktime also has an option to integrate with other popular work-related applications including google calendar, outlook calendar, Trello, Gitlab, Jira, Basecamp etc.
- The mobile application support totally gives you the ability to oversee the performance of your employees through a mobile screen.
- Desktime allows you to track which application has been utilizing the most by any employee.
Desktime has a dedicated page to calculate the price per user quickly. The Desktime has four plans for both monthly and annual basis including Lite, Pro, Premium & Enterprise.
Lite version is totally free, but only 1 user can access it. Follow these prices (monthly) below to get the idea of desktime pricing:
For 5 users, Desktime charge:
- Free plan: No charge (only available for 1 user)
- Pro: $30
- Premium: $39
- Enterprise: $60
Note: Features may vary in each plan
Note: 14 days of free trial is available on every plan without prior charging.
- 14 days of free trial is available.
- App and URL tracking.
- Blurred screenshots.
- Custom reports.
- Google and Outlook calendar integration.
- Mobile apps.
- Productivity metrics.
- Project and task management.
- Time tracking.
- No keyword tracking.
- No keystroke logging.
- No automated alerts.
- No document and file tracking.
- Limited reporting.
- Only XLS export; no CSV.
2. Hubstaff: Bes employee time clock software for fieldwork and remote workers.
Hubstaff is a powerful tracking software found by Dave Nevogt in 2012. It can integrate with 30+ applications and has a comprehensive list of productivity-focused features. You will discover if your employees are on the right track or not through their amazing functions including screen capturing, app usage, monitoring, task-specific tracking, etc.
- Hubstaff has a very lightweight desktop app and mobile app as compared to others.
- The desktop application is compatible with devices such as windows, Mac, Linux and chrome extension.
- Online timesheet record and access
- With the help of GPS tracking, one can track the time of your off-field employees and manage them easily.
- By geofencing feature, Hubstaff allows you to create a job site and automatically start tracking as soon as your employees reach to the job location.
- Hubstaff makes payroll processing fully automatic. As soon as the employees complete their work, Hubstaff will send them payment based on the working hours.
- Attendance tracking and task scheduling
- Offline and online time tracking
- Project budgeting
- Web time tracking
Hubstaff is a little bit expensive in terms of the monthly pricing as compared with the desktime. The Hubstaff offers 4 plans: Free, Basic, Premium and Enterprise. All plans have 14 days of a free trial feature.
Please refer the monthly pricing for 1 user below:
- Free plan: No charge (only available for 1 user)
- Basic: $7
- Premium: $10
- Enterprise: $20
Hubstaff plan offers these features under the basic plan:
- Time tracking
- Activity levels
- Limited screenshots
- Limited payments
- 14 days of free trial is available on all types of plans.
- Screen-grab and keystroke monitoring are present.
- Easy to update time to timesheets prior to shifts.
- Easy to reschedule shifts for the employees
- Expensive monthly plan
- No advanced tracking is available
- Very basic level of reporting
3. Toggl – Best free employee time tracking software
Toggl is a perfect time tracking software ideally for individuals or freelancers or small business. The main highlighting feature of the toggl is that they offer free services up to 5 users with features including time tracking, few integrations, user dashboards and necessary reporting tools. However, toggl also have advanced features in their paid plans for large organizations.
- Toggl can be accessed with android, ios, mac, windows and chrome extension.
- Toggl has a single button to create new task entry and start tracking.
- Toggl has a reminder functionality, and it will remind you if you forget to start or stop the timer.
- Over 100+ app integrations support are available
- Both manual and automatic tracking feature is available
- Reporting tools allow you to summarise tracking data and export into the desired format (excel, pdf, etc.)
- Payroll and invoice processing feature.
- Toggl can generate graphs, charts and visual reports such as profit vs cost spent.
- Different type of alerts function is available such as email alert, deadline alert etc.
When it comes to pricing, toggl offers some fantastic plans for small teams. There are a total of 4 plans: Basic, Starter, Premium and Enterprise. Refer to the below monthly prices to get the price idea:
- Basic: Always free and has tons of features. (Recommended for small teams)
- Starter: $9 per user
- Premium: $18 per user
- Enterprise: This plan is for a large organization, you need to contact toggl team first, and they will assist you according to the requirements.
- 30 day free trial on paid plans
- The free plan includes many features as compared to other software free plans.
- Available on all major platforms
- Super simple to use
- Integrates with other apps
- Free to get started
- Idle detection, reminders, and Pomodoro
Expensive paid plans (especially for large teams)
Related: Hubspot Alternatives
4. Time doctor: Best employee time clock software for large organization
Time Doctor is undoubtedly one of the best employee time tracking software for larger organizations (20 to 500 employees). It is used by the top organization in the world, including a home depot, survey monkey, etc. It is not recommended for small businesses.
Time doctor features
- Multiple operating systems supported including Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Ios and Android.
- Supports live screenshots.
- Time doctor tracks and monitor employee active and non-active hours and present you an excellent summary at the end of the day.
- Their payroll and timesheet supports multiple currencies and transfers payment without any extra charge.
- With their project management dashboard, you can create a new project, assign tasks and monitor the ongoing process in a single place.
- Employees can also monitor their work activity, active hours to improve themselves.
- To increase productivity, time doctor allows you to create weekly, daily reports for employees time, application usage and project progress using visual charts and graphs.
- Time doctor offers a wonderful feature of distraction alerts: If any employee spends too much time on youtube, Facebook or any non-related work website, It will alert the user using a pop-up.
- Just like other software, Time doctor also has a function which enables users to integrate with other project management and accounting tools.
- Application tracking has existed.
- The interface is easy to use, and approximately take you 3-5 minutes to set up completely.
Time doctor Pricing
The company offers you 14 days free trial to test any plan of your choice. Three plans are there: Basic, Standard and Premium. The price for 1 month per user is given as follows:
- Basic plan: $7
- Standard plan: $10
- Premium plan: $20
Under the basic plan, you will get only these features. I suggest you go for premium and test it out all the features.
- Time tracking
- Tasks and projects
- Unlimited Projects
- Activity tracking
- 3-day support
- 1 group department
- 1 month of data storage.
Time doctor Pros
- Trusted by reputable and large organizations.
- Option to make payments and creates invoices within the console.
Time doctor Cons
- Outdated old user interface
- It must require a desktop app or Chrome extension to use the stopwatch feature.
5. WebWork Time Tracker – Cheapest Employee Time Tracking Software
WebWork Time tracker should be on top of your list if you recently started your organization and has a thin budget for installing employing monitoring software. Their plans have started from just $2.99 bucks. Regardless of the low price, it doesn’t mean that software doesn’t provide any advanced features like others. Webwork time tracker has almost every function in the product you require for your employees and the organization.
WebWork Time Tracker Features
- The software is deployable on all major platforms including Apple, play store, chrome extension, windows, Mac and Linux distributions.
- The software has 4 screenshots mode for different situations: Normal mode, background mode, blurred mode and no screenshot mode.
- The WebWork time tracker allows you to track different type of activities including mouse clicks, keyboard strokes, active applications, browsers etc.
- With the different level of permissions based on the roles, you can control who can access what.
- Invoice generation and payroll processing facility.
- Reports such as Timesheet, Statistics, Activity, Apps & Websites, Tasks and Invoice are exportable.
- Websites and app monitoring feature are available to use.
- Task management tools are available to manage projects and deadlines.
- 24*7 customer support is available.
WebWork Time Tracker Pricing
As I mentioned above that WebWork Time tracker is the cheapest employee monitoring tool in the market; they have only 1 plan started from the $2.99 per user per month with including all the feature.
Also, you can signup for a 7 days trial without spending a dime.
WebWork Time Tracker Pros
- Cheapest employee time tracking software in the market
- Offers everything in one single plan
- 7 day trial available
WebWork Time Tracker Cons
The clocks stop after 7 minutes of inactivity; this may lead to a reduction in employee performance.
6. ActivTrak- Best Web-based Employee Time Tracking Software
ActivTrak is only accessible from the web. It is a cloud-based employee monitoring tool which has free forever plan for 3 users which is totally ideal for testing purpose at least. The software has dedicated application on android play store and apple store. With more than 7,500 paid users and over 100,000 free users, you can’t deny the fact that ActivTrak is one of the most liked tracking software among businesses and organization.
- Screenshot capturing is available
- Website blocking can be possible, so employees can’t waste their office hours.
- ActivTrak alerts you when any of the users are trying to transfer files by USB. It helps to detect threats and file stealing
- ActivTrak can able to track how much time an employee has spent on a specific application and file.
- Different kinds of analytics and reports can be export by ActicTrak including top applications, top websites, top users, top categories, working hours etc.
- The ActivTrak has an alarm inbuilt which automatically alert the employee if he/she tries to open any blocked website or not being active during working hours.
- The ActivTrak also has custom alarms features so that an employer create a different type of alarms according to his need.
- Task management can be done with ActivTrak.
When we talk about ActivTrak pricing, it is affordable for any size of organizations. They have two plans:
- Free plan: only for 3 users and can last forever
- Advanced plan: $7.20 per device per month
Note: Free trial is available, and you cannot subscribe for a monthly plan. They charged annually.
- Active Directory integration.
- Application monitoring.
- Automated alerts.
- Easy-to-use admin interface.
- Google sign-in.
- iOS app.
- Productivity tracking.
- Sensitive data redaction.
- User privacy features.
- Doesn’t log keystrokes.
- An only single screenshot is available in the free plan
- No blurred screenshot option.
7. Interguard – Most Secured Employee Time Tracking App
Interguard is the last software on the list. If your organization has required continuous activity of file sharing between all types of employees to get work done, security is critical. You never know how an employee can take advantage of such important files and misuse them. When we talk about security, Interguard is the most robust employee monitoring software available in the market. It has multiple types of modules, with each having tons of sub-features that are responsible for taking care of tracking and monitoring activities.
- Interguard can easily be deployed on all types of platforms including cloud, windows, mac, iPhone and android.
- It can track login and log off time so that you know which employee is likely to sit in his desk and to work properly.
- To capture employee screen, Interguard has 3 types of screenshots mode: Alert word screenshots, Continuous screenshots and Smart camera screenshots.
- Interguard can also track user activities heatmap.
- To avoid the issue of security and data breaching, Interguard has offered different types of alerts which notify the employer if someone is trying to breach the information. Those alerts are Keywords alerts, Policy violation alerts, Anomalous behaviour alerts etc.
- With the powerful reporting dashboard, you can produce different types of insights reports on the data such as total hours worked, distraction time etc.
- Interguard also has a ROI calculator which helps to figure out how much wasting time is impacting on your company.
Interguard offers a free trial for a cloud platform. To use all the premium features of Interguard, you have two options:
- First: Subscribed to the cloud-hosted service by paying $9.99 per user every month.
- Second: Deploy interguard system to your organization data center by requesting a quote for their enterprise plan.
- A free trial is available
- Advanced security features
- Data and file tracking
- Unique alerts feature is present.
Deployment and installation process is complicated. Employees may take time to get friendly with Interguard settings and interface.
If you make it this far, you must get an idea of how employee time tracking software works. If you still found trouble in making a decision, consider following this summary below:
Desktime: Go for Desktime when you don’t have the IT team to deploy and setup the employee monitoring tool. Desktime has very easy to use interface and quick configurable settings.
Hubstaff: Go for Hubstaff when you want to track your employee’s activities on the remote site/field location.
Go for Toggl or WebWork time tracker when your business size is small or when the budget is your concern.
Go for Time doctor if your business size is enormous in terms of employees count.
Go for ActivTrak if you are looking for web-based employee monitoring software or cheap annual plans.
Go for Interguard when security is your primary concern, or you have an IT team to deploy the software.
I hope this tutorial helped you to know about the best Employee time tracking apps to monitor your employees. If you like this article, please share it and follow WhatVwant on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube for more tips.
Employee time tracking Apps – FAQ
How to track employee time in the field?
To tracking employee time in the worksite, you should use an employee time tracking tool which has a feature of geofencing and GPS tracking such as Hubstaff.
What software do companies use it to monitor employees?
Nowadays, organizations use employee monitoring software to watch their employees. There are plenty of employee monitoring tools available in the market. To choose the right one, you should first calculate how many employees are there in your organization, then make your budget. Some of the popular employee monitoring software are Desktime, Hubstaff, Interguard, Toggl etc.
Should I tell my employees that they are being monitored?
Every employee in the organization should know that their screen is being monitored. It is a matter of privacy. Some employees might get offended after knowing that they are being tracked without their consent. To avoid any future consequences of privacy violation, you should give clear instructions to employees about the tracking and monitoring process.