Free encryption software available to Encrypt USB drive. In this article, I am showing you the method to Encrypt USB drive. And how you can password protect USB drive.
What is Encryption?
Encryption is the process of encoding original data with a key or password. You can use encrypted data, only after decryption with a key or password. It is the most effective way to make data security. Read more details from Wikipedia.
Caution: If you consider deleting data is OK instead of leaking data, then only you can go for this method. Because in this method I am showing you free software that performs encryption. If you Encrypt USB drive, it will show the only option to format disc. Only you can decrypt that USB with the same software. So it is best to take the backup of your USB before encryption.
- You may also like: How to hide files in USB & external hard drive
- How to recover deleted files from Pen drive with free software
Procedure to Encrypt USB drive
Click here to go Download page of DiskCryptor software. You will see the below figure.
Click on “Installer” under “Download” shows that in above screenshot. You can see “Download” in the middle of the page. You will get setup file. Install the setup file. It will ask you to restart you PC to complete installation. Restart PC and complete installation.
- Insert your USB in PC slot.
- Click on DiskCryptor icon to open software. You will see below window.
- Click on your USB drive name. You will see your selection at the bottom of the window.
- Click “Encrypt”. You will see a small window shows that in the below screenshot.
- Keep “Algorithm” as “AES” and “Wipe Mode” as “None”.
- Click “Next”. You will see below the window where you need to enter the password.
- Enter the password and confirm the password. You need not select “show password” and “Use key files” options.
- Click Ok.
Now it will start encrypting USB. You will see the status at the bottom of the DiskCryptor main window. It takes time. It took more than 15 minutes to encrypt a 4GB pen drive. After encryption, you will see the status as Mounted near your USB name.
Remove USB from your PC. Insert it into your PC or any other PC. You will see the below window.
Everyone see option to format USB. No one can access your information. Only you can access information by decryption.
How to access files from encrypted USB
- Insert USB into your PC. Click cancel, when it is prompted to format.
- Click on the Diskcryptor icon to open the software.
- Select your USB drive.
- Click “Mount” on the right menu. It will show a small window which asks you to enter the password.
- Enter the password which is created an encryption process.
- Click Ok. It will immediately open your USB. You can access your files.
How to decrypt USB
Follow above procedure up to the last step. Close USB window.
Click “Decrypt” in the right menu of DiskCryptor software. It will start the decryption procedure. You can see the status at the bottom of the window. It takes the same time as encryption.
Thanks for reading my article about Encrypt USB drive with the best free software. If you like it, do me a favor by sharing it with your friends and follow WhatVwant on Facebook and Twitter for more tips.