How to take a screenshot on Windows PC effectively? Windows PC has an inbuilt option to take the screenshot. In this article, I am going to discuss all the possibilities to take screenshots along with a free screenshot software which helps to take screenshots effectively.
In this article first I will discuss how to take a screenshot on Windows with Windows options. Later I will suggest you about free software.
Hint: If you want to use the screenshots for your profession use and need better features, we suggest you use Snagit which is the best premium screenshot software.
1. How to take a screenshot on Windows 10 & 8.1
You need to press “Windows + PrtSc” in Windows 8 to take a screenshot of the entire desktop.
Go to This PC -> Pictures -> Screenshots to access the screenshot.
You can use Windows + Shift + S on Windows 10 to take the small part of the screenshot as the screenshot.
2. How to take a Screenshot on Windows 8
- Press Windows + print screen buttons at a time. That’s it, you will get a screenshot in the “pictures” folder.
Where Do the Screenshots go on Windows 8?
You can see the screenshots in the Screenshots folder. You can access the screenshots folder by following the below method.
- Open windows explorer.
- If you are using Windows 8, Click on libraries under favorites in the left pane. Click on the “Pictures” folder.
- Click on the “Screenshots” folder under the Pictures folder. You will get all screenshots.
3. How to take a screenshot on Windows 7, Vista, XP, etc.,
Just press the “PrtSC” button. It will take a screenshot of the entire desktop. You will find this button in the first row of your keyboard. Probably you find this button after “F12”.
Press “Alt + PrtSC” To take a screenshot of a particular window. You may also consider reading Microsoft’s guide about how to take a screenshot on Windows.
4. Using the snipping tool: It works for Windows Vista, 7, 8 & 10
Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10 have an inbuilt tool called the snipping tool. With this tool, you can take screenshots effectively. In Windows Vista and 7, you will find a snipping tool in “Start -> All programs”.
In Windows 8 and 10, just type the snipping tool in the start screen.
- Press the “Windows” button to enter the start screen.
- Type “Snipping tool” and click on “snipping tool”. You will see the snipping tool window.
- Click on the arrow mark near to “New”.
- Select any format. I think “Rectangular snip” is better.
- Now click on “New” one more time.
- The cursor will be changed to the “+” symbol. Drag the mouse while holding the left button and select the part which you want to take a screenshot. Leave the left button. Immediately you will see below the window with your selected part.
- Click on “File”.
- Click on “Save As”. You will see the “Save As” window. save the file in any folder.
Update: In the latest updates of Windows 10, Snipping Tool has been converted to Snip & Sketch. So you will never see the Snipping Tool in the latest versions. You can search with Snip & Sketch.
5: How to take a screenshot on Windows PC with a free software
I am using puush, free software to take screenshots.
Why I Use Puush to take screenshot
Because it takes screenshots effectively. It automatically converts to the format which has less size. The main reason to use this software is, it automatically compresses the image.
When I take a screenshot with the Windows option, the image size is around 1MB. When I take a screenshot with “puush”, the image size is around 150 kb. Though the size is less, it never compromises with quality.
Along with this feature, it uploads an image to your puush account. So that you can save the image online. If you don’t connect the internet to the system, It will not upload, it only saves the image in your system.
How to Use Puush software to take the screenshots
- Go to puush official website.
- You will see three download options in the top right corner. Click anyone according to your OS.
- You will get the puush.msi file.
- Install puush.msi file. It will ask you to create a free account with your email id.
- Create a free account. And log in with your user id and password. Now you will see a small arrow symbol in the right bottom corner taskbar shown in the below screenshot.
- Right-click on the arrow symbol. You will see the below window. This window gives you shortcodes to take a screenshot.
Before using this software, you need to make some important setting.
Click on “Settings”. You will see “Settings” window.
In the “General” tab You may uncheck “Start puush on startup” under “General Settings”. If it is check, puush always runs and it may slow down your PC startup speed. You may read How to increase computer speed.
If it is unchecked, you need to run the program whenever you need it. That is your wish for how to use this program. If you take screenshots frequently, better check this to run the program always.
Check “Save a local copy of the image” and select your system folder where you want to store the image. If it is unchecked your screenshot will not store in your system. The image only uploaded to your puush account.
If your system is not connected to the internet, your screenshot will store in your system. If your system connected to the internet, your screenshot will store in PC and it will upload to your puush account.
Click on “Advanced tab”. Make sure “Smart(use JPG unless PNG is smaller in filesize)” is checked. Now you will get compressed screenshot images. Only because of this option I am using this software.
How to take a screenshot on Windows – FAQ
How to take a screenshot on Windows 10?
Press Windows + PrtScn. You will see the screenshot of the complete screen in This PC -> Pictures -> Screenshots folder.
Can I still use snipping tool on Windows 10?
No. Now the Snipping tool is changed to Snip & Sketch.
Is there any free software available to take and share the screenshot?
Yes. Puush is the free software.