“Slmgr is not recognized as an internal or external command”. This article gives the solution to this problem. You can apply the same procedure for any command error which is not recognized as an internal or external command”.
If you want to convert not genuine windows to genuine, you need to read This copy of windows is not genuine: easy solution.
While using the command “SLMGR -REARM” mentioned in the above article, you may get the error “slmgr is not recognized as an internal or external command“. Or any other error same as the above error message.
There are lots of reasons for this error. This article may cover all the reasons and their solutions.
slmgr is not recognized as an internal or external command – How to fix
The following are the reasons for slmgr is not recognized as an internal or external command – How to fix it.
Total Time: 3 minutes
1 Reason: There might be a spelling mistake.
Solution: Make sure there is a space between “SLMGR” and “-REARM”.
2. Reason: You might not open Command Prompt as Administrator.
Solution: Right-click on “CMD” and select “Run as Administrator”.
3. Just try “SLMGR /REARM” instead “SLMGR -REARM”.
4. Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
5. Reason: slmgr.vbs file might have any other extension. You need to remove the extension by renaming the file.
Go to My computer
Go to the “C” drive.
Select the folder “Windows”.
Select the folder “System32”.
Scroll down until “slmgr.vbs.REMOVEWAT”. Right-click on it and rename it to “slmgr.vbs”. If you don’t find the “REMOVEWAT” extension, remove any other extension at the end of slmgr.vbs.
|Caution: Don’t buy Windows OS from any other third-party eCommerce store. Because if you get any issue, you need to contact your vendor. Microsoft support will help you when you buy Windows OS from Microsoft store only. I strongly recommend you to buy Microsoft products only from the Microsoft store. |
Note: When you try “SLMGR -REARM” command for more than three times. You might get the error “0xc004d307 to maximize allowed re-arms”. Let us see how to fix error 0xc004d307.
How to fix Error 0xc004d307
After using command SLMGR -REARM for three times, the “SkipRearm” registry key will become “0”.You need to change the “SkipRearm” registry key to “1”. You can find “SkipRearm” by going into the following location from the “Registry Editor”.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/SoftwareProtectionPlatform Follow below step by step procedure to go into the above place.
- Press “Windows + R” you will see the Run dialog. Or Go to Start, click Run.
- Type “Regedit”. Click Ok. You will see the Registry editor window.
- Click on the Arrow mark which is left to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE”.
- Click on the arrow mark which is left to “SOFTWARE”.
- Click on the arrow mark which is left to “Microsoft”.
- Click on the arrow mark which is left to “Windows NT”.
- Click on the arrow mark which is left to “CurrentVersion”.
- Now click on the word “SoftwareProtectionPlatform”, not on the arrow mark.
- Right-click on “SkipRearm” in the right window.
- Click on “Modify”. Change “Value Data” to “1”.
- Restart PC.
Now you can try the command SLMGR -REARM.
When you follow the above methods properly, you will not see any errors in the future. You can use your OS forever but without updates.
Remember, Always hackers attack older versions of OS and software on your computer to place malware and to hack your details. I always recommend you use the latest versions of OS and any software. Then only your computer will be free from viruses and your details will be safe. It is best to buy Genuine Windows OS from Microsoft Store.
- Related: Where / How to buy Windows OS? Which version should I buy
- Windows 10 Comparison with features
- Windows 10 Home Vs Pro: Differences you need to know
If you like my article about slmgr is not recognized as an internal or external command, do me a favor by sharing this article with your friends. Want more tips, please follow whatvwant on Facebook and Twitter.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I open CMD EXE with administrator privileges?
Press the Windows key on the keyboard to enter the start screen.
Type Command Prompt. You will see Command prompt word in the search results.
Right-click on Command Prompt. You will see five options.
Click Run as Administrator. Now you will see the elevated command prompt with full administrator privileges.
What is an internal or external command?
In MS-DOS, the commands are executed in two ways: internally and externally.
An internal command is embedded into the command.com file.
An external command requires a separate file to operate
What does Slmgr stand for?
Windows Software Licensing Management Tool.
How many times can you use Slmgr rearm?
You can use this command for up to 3 times by means you can extend the trial period to 120 days without activation.
How to extend the trial period of windows After using command SLMGR -REARM for three times
Read How to fix Error 0xc004d307 in above.