This article is all about how to Password protect Excel sheet and make Read-Only on a Network in Excel in the most possible simplest way.
What is Excel?
Microsoft Excel is a spreadsheet developed by Microsoft for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. It features to perform calculation, graphing tools, pivot tables, and a lot more for Applications. Excel is a helpful and powerful program for data analysis and documentation. Microsoft Excel has all the basic features of all spreadsheets, using a grid of cells arranged in numbered rows and letter-named columns to organize data manipulations like arithmetic operations.
Why should we make Excel read-only?
The Windows network files are available to any user or anyone who has access to do anything to the shared network drive. If you want to prohibit or restrict edits to the Excel file on the network it will do as explained below. If you want to restrict others in modifying your excel, you can do that very easily.
The Excel sheet includes “Read-Only” protection security in the workbook’s settings. This means a lot to you as that users can only read the content of the Excel file, but they cannot make any changes without the appropriate permissions.
By this, your Excel file is protected safely from unauthorized access and it’s read-only not allowing anyone to do changes to your content.
How to Password protect Excel
Below are the steps that help you how to Password protect Excel workbook and read-only.
- Open the Excel workbook that you want to make and set as read-only on the network.
- By default, the ‘File’ tab will be selected as soon as you open the Excel.
- Now click on the ‘Review’ tab from the top main menu.
- You can able to see the ‘Protect and Share Workbook’ group.
- Click on the ‘Protect Sheet’ option. It will open a Protect Sheet small window with a lot of options in it.
- By default, the Protect worksheet and contents of locked cells option will be checked.
- There will be a textbox labeled as ‘Password to unprotect sheet:’.
- Select the list of options you wish to protect from unauthorized access and enter the password you desire in the textbox.
- Click on the OK button to save the settings.
- Once you click on the OK button with the password, then a small ‘Confirm Password’ dialogue box will open.
- It will ask you to ‘Reenter password to proceed’. Enter the same password you entered in the first textbox.
- You can notice here the ‘Protect Sheet’ option will turn into the ‘Unprotect Sheet’ option.
- Save the excel workbook once your settings are done.
- Now if anyone tries to do any changes to your worksheet, then it will prompt them the message “The cell or chart that you are trying to change is protected and therefore read-only” and they cannot perform any modifications in the sheet.
- Suppose if you want to make any changes to your content or add some extra content, then you have to click on the ‘Unprotect sheet’ option.
- Enter the correct password when it prompted. Then you can perform any changes and save them again.
So your Excel worksheet is now protected and read-only.
I hope you like my tutorial about how to Read-Only on a Network in Excel. Making your Excel protected and read-only. If you Like it!! then please Share it. If you want to add anything to it, please let us know through the comments section.