Do you know about Network Gateway? Want to know what is the default gateway? Want to configure LAN with the gateway?
This article gives you the details about what is network gateway, what is a default network gateway and how to configure LAN with multiple default gateways.
Table of Contents
What is Network Gateway?
Gateway in networking is a node that serves as an access point to another network. Suppose ten computers or devices are connected. That means these ten devices form a network. Connect your laptop to any one of ten devices. The device or computer to which you have connected your laptop is called a network gateway. Because this device works as a gate to their network.
You can enter into another network only through the gate. Any computer or device can operate as a gate. It is simple to understand that the instrument or computer through which you are connecting or entering to other network is called network gateway. If you want more details, you can read Wikipedia’s article.
What is the default gateway?
From the above-said example, among the ten devices, any device can be configured as the default gateway. We can also use the network gateway as the default gateway. Or we can set up any other device as a default gateway. A default gateway is nothing but a router, which connects your network to another network. If you want to connect these ten devices network to another network, you can connect only through this router. If you want more details, you can read Wikipedia’s article.
- You May Also Like: Must read WiFi router buying guide
- Top 5 Cheap and best WiFi routers for home/office
How to Configure LAN with multiple default gateways
Consider your organization has three different networks. In your office, you have three systems, each with an individual network. You may have only one laptop. You need to work on these three networks. Instead of connecting one network at one time, you can access all three networks at once.
For that use, one switch. Connect all three nodes to the switch. Connect your laptop to switch with one Ethernet cable. Now configure your laptop’s LAN with three default gateway IPs.
To configure LAN follow step by step procedure which is shown below. The procedure is the same for all the versions of windows.
- Go to control panel -> Click on “Network and Internet”. You will see the “Network and Internet” window.
- Click on “Network and Sharing Center”. You will see the Network and Sharing Center window.
- Click on “Change adapter settings”(1 in below fig.). You will see Network Connections.
- Right-click on “Ethernet” and click on properties(2). Ethernet Properties window will be opened.
- Click on Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) (3). “Properties” icon will be highlighted in the same window.
- Click on “properties” (4). “Properties” window will be opened.
- Enter the IP address, subnet mask, and first network’s default gateway IP address.
- Click on Advanced (5). “Advanced TCP/IP Settings” window will be opened. Here you can add multiple IP, Gateway, DNS, and WINS.
- Click on the “IP settings” tab at the top menu.
- Click on “Add” Under “Default gateways” (6). “TCP/IP Gateway address” window will be opened.
- Enter second default gateway ip address (7).
- Click Add (8).
You Can enter as many gateways as you want by clicking Add (6) button in the “Advanced TCP/IP settings window”. Now you can use all the networks through all network gateways with a single laptop.
- Related: How to create a WiFi hotspot in Windows laptop with CMD
- How to create a computer WiFi hotspot with a free software
This is about gateway, default gateway and how to connect LAN with multiple default gateways in stepwise procedure.
I hope you like this article. If yes, please share this tutorial with your friends and family. You may also follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Subscribe to whatVwant channel on YouTube for regular updates.