Are you a macOS user and want to know more about macOS versions? Then this article will be a perfect place for you. In this article, we have included detailed information on macOS versions.
- READ MORE – What is new in Mac OS Sierra? 9 New Features of MacOS Sierra
- What Are Some Neat Things We Can Expect in macOS Monterey?
Table of Contents
What is the Latest Version of macOS?
macOS version 12.3 is the latest version available on Mac and it is titled “macOS Monterey”. This update was rolled out on October 25, 2021, and released its latest update on 14th March 2022. In any version of macOS, Apple keeps all of its applications, security, and other updates up-to-date.
Why do you need old versions of Mac?
Not everyone is likely to keep their macOS up-to-date and feels uncomfortable with the latest versions. Because in the latest versions some of the software stops functioning correctly. Also, some software will no more compatible with the latest versions. Even some users find that after the latest update their mac runs slower. So for all these reasons you need to downgrade the macOS versions.
- READ MORE – Best Solution To NTFS Read-Only Issue on Mac
- Apple’s M1 Macs Targeted By Malware: How to Remove M1 Mac Malware
List of macOS Versions
Apple release updates regularly with improved functionalities and security systems to keep your Mac up-to-date. Here is the list of macOS versions released so far.
- macOS Monterey 12.3 (Latest Version)
This is the latest version available on Mac from October 2021. The initial version was released on 25th October 2021, and the latest update to this version is rolled out on March 14th, 2022.
- macOS Big Sur 11.6.5
This version was released on November 12, 2020, and the latest update version was rolled out on 14th March 2022 as 11.6.5.
- macOS Catalina 10.15.7
Released on 7th October 2019 and the latest available version was rolled out on March 14th, 2022.
- macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Released on 24th September 2018 and the last version was rolled out on July 21, 2021.
- macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Released the initial update on 25th September 2017 and it was lastly updated on November 12, 2020.
- macOS Sierra 10.12.6
The initial update was released on 20th September 2017 and it was lastly updated on September 26, 2019.
- OS X EI Captain 10.11.6
The Initial update of this version was released on 30th September 2015 and the last update rolled out on July 9, 2018.
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
The initial version update was rolled out on 16th October 2014 and the last update was released on July 19, 2017.
- OS X Mavericks 10.9.5
On October 22, 2013, the initial version update was released and on July 18, 2016, the final update was rolled out.
- OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5
It was introduced on 25th July 2012 and updated lastly on August 13, 2015.
- OS X Lion 10.7.5
The initial update of this version was rolled out on 20th July 2011 and the last update was released on October 4th, 2012.
- Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
This version was released on 26th October 2007 and the last update was released on August 13th, 2009.
- Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11
This was released on 29th April 2005 and lastly updated on November 14, 2007.
- Mac OS X Panther 10.3.9
On 24th October 2005, this version was introduced and updated lastly on April 15, 2005.
- Mac OS X Jaguar 10.2.8
Its initial update was released on August 24, 2002, and its final update was rolled out on October 3, 2003.
- Mac OS X Puma 10.1.5
This version was introduced on 25th September 2001 and the final update was released on June 6, 2002.
- Mac OS X Cheetah 10.0.4
The initial update of this version was released on March 24, 2001, and rolled out the final update on June 22, 2001.
How To Downgrade macOS Version
Downgrading the macOS will erase all your data from the mac and resets all your settings to the default. So, be prepared for that and try to back up the important data. Later, follow the below steps to downgrade your macOS version.
Method-1: For Intel Chip Macs
This Method is to downgrade the macOS version on the Intel Macs only. The latest Macs, that are built with M1 Chip have to downgrade using the Time Machine software.
- STEP-1: After completing the backup process, shut down the Mac
- STEP-2: “Power ON” the Mac and immediately hold “Shift+Command+Option+R”. After sometime you will find the recovery loading screen.
- STEP-3: In the Disk Utilities window, choose the “Reinstall macOS” option. Follow the simple installation wizard and then it starts installing the macOS version with which your Mac was originally shipped.
- STEP-4: After the completion of installation process, you can start restoring the data from the backup created earlier.
Method-2: For M1 Chip Macs
All the latest Macs are built using their own M1 Chip and available with the inbuilt Time Machine application. Using this, you can easily create backup and downgrade macOS versions.
- STEP-1: Connect an External hard disk and create a Backup file using the Time Machine.
- STEP-2: Make sure that the external disk is still connected and Later restart your Mac.
- STEP-3: As soon as the screen OFF, hold “Command + R” until or unless you see a Recovery loading page.
- STEP-4: On the Disk Utility page, Choose the “Restore From Time Machine Backup” option. Then it starts to scan for the available backups and displays the connected external disks.
- STEP-5: Choose the backup from that list and select the storage drive to install the macOS. Then the storage drive will be erased completely and restored with previous macOS version.
As of now, the above-listed versions of macOS are released and the macOS Monterey is the latest version till now. Its latest version was rolled out on March 14, 2022. From all the macOS versions, macOS Catalina and macOS Big Sur are still providing regular updates.
I hope this tutorial helped you to know about the List of macOS Versions, How To Download Old macOS Versions. If you want to say anything, let us know through the comment sections. If you like this article, please share it and follow WhatVwant on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube for more Technical tips.
List of macOS Versions, How To Download Old macOS Versions – FAQs
What is the latest macOS Version?
The latest version is macOS 12.4 Monterey.
Can I upgrade my Mac to Big Sur?
As long as your iMac has a Retina Display you should be able to install Big Sur.
How do I uninstall the latest Mac update?
You can uninstall Apple Software Update by running the utility, finding it in the list of programs in CleanUp, selecting it, and clicking “Remove”.
Is Mac Big Sur 64-bit?
Only 64-bit apps will run on Big Sur.
Will Big Sur slow down my mac?
Chances are if your computer has slowed down after downloading Big Sur, then you are probably running low on memory(RAM) and available storage. Big Sur requires big storage space from your computer because of the many changes that come with it.