Want to Change Gmail phone number? Want to know the uses of the phone number in Gmail? This tutorial will give you enough information on what you need.
Go through this article to know how to Remove and Change Phone Number In Gmail or from the Google Account easily on desktop and Android.
Nowadays Gmail has become one of the most important tools in our day to day life for the business purpose, education, etc. The Gmail interface makes use of labels. These labels replace conventional folders and provide a more flexible method of organizing emails. There are filters for automatically organizing, deleting, or forwarding emails to other addresses. And importance markers for automatically marking messages as ‘important’.
Every person is having a minimum of one Gmail account for their usage. However, when you are looking to create a Gmail account, it asks to enter the phone number. Do you ever think what is the use of Phone Number in Gmail? If you are looking for the answer, you are on the right page. Here we have given the details regarding the usage of a phone number and how to change the mobile number for your Gmail account.
What is the Use of Phone Number In Gmail?
When the phone number is activated, it prevents your Gmail account from hacking. That is if hackers steal your Gmail password to hack your account, then they will not succeed. Because the verification code comes to your mobile via SMS.
Also, in an effort to protect users from abuse, Gmail sometimes asks users to prove they’re not a robot before they’re able to create or sign in to accounts. By using this additional confirmation by phone, helps to keep spammers from abusing your systems.
However, there is a limit on the phone number of Gmail accounts. You have to use a different number if you get a popup notification saying “This phone number has already created the maximum number of accounts.” In order o protect the users from abuse, this limit has been implemented. Also, you can recover your deleted Gmail account by updating the phone number when you have created it.
Gmail needs your phone number for the following reasons:
- In case you lost your password, you can restore it with the help of your phone number.
- To be used for 2-factor authentication purposes.
As mobile number plays an important role, one must update your phone number. If you have changed the number which you are using, then below are the steps to change the Gmail phone number.
Why do You need to change Mobile Number in Google Account?
In this technical world, it is not possible to maintain a single mobile number for a lifelong. Sometimes the number may be changed intentionally for security purposes. Or sometimes it may be lost. There is another situation, where people use two numbers simultaneously in a single mobile phone and they give priority to the old number.
How To Change or Remove Gmail Phone Number
Changing or Updating or Removing your phone number in your Gmail account, sometimes, will become essential. In such a case, you can do it easily using desktop and mobile devices. For details go through the following once.
We provided this article in the form of a video tutorial for our reader’s convenience. If you are interested to read, you can skip the video and start reading.
How to Change Gmail Phone Number on Desktop
- Firstly, go to Gmail.
- Now, you will get two options like the sign in and create the account. Now click on the sign-in button. ( If you don’t have an account, click on the Create Account option to create a new account and fill up the details to create a Gmail account. Read this article for complete procedure to create a Gmail account.)
- Enter your Gmail username and then click on Next option and enter your password to redirect to your Gmail account.
- Next, you will find your profile picture on the top right corner.
- Click on that profile picture.
- Then you will see the Manage your Google Account option. Click on that option as shown in the below screenshot.
- Now your Google Account settings screen will open with many sections such as Home, Personal Info, Data & Personalization as shown below.
- Click on Personal Info Option.
- Then some options will appear on your screen like name, email, phone, birthday, etc. Go to the Contact Info section and then click on the Phone option.
- Next, you will get the edit option on the top right corner. Click on it.
- It will automatically redirect to the login page to verify.
- To continue, now enter your Gmail password to verify it’s you.
- Again click on the edit button which you can see in the right corner.
- Now enter the number which you want to update. And then click on the update number option to update your new mobile number for your Gmail account.
That’s It! You have now successfully updated your new mobile number.
How to Change Phone Number In Gmail Or Google Account on Android?
In this section, we are going to show how to change mobile number in Google Account on Android.
Changing or updating a new number in a Google account is an easy process that you can see in this section.
Total Time: 5 minutes
Step 1: Open Gmail or Browser app that linked to Google Account
All the Google Apps are linked to Google Account. So by opening any such Google app and changing the mobile number via that app makes an easy and less time-consuming process. So here I am using the Gmail app to change the mobile number.
Step 2: Click on the Menu
Now in the Gmail app, at the top left corner of the screen, you can see a three horizontal lines symbol that represents the Menu. Click on it as shown in the above image.
Now you see many options such as Inbox, Sent, Spam, Bin, etc. Scroll down until you get the Settings option that is available at the bottom. Click on it as shown in the below image.
Step 3: Select the account
Now settings screen will be open.
Then select the account for which you want to change the mobile number.
Next, click on Manage your Google Account under Account.
Step 4: Go to Personal Information section
Now you can view many sections like Home, Personal Info, Data & Personalisation, etc.
Click on the Personal Info Section.
Now scroll down to the bottom until you will see the Contact Info section where the email and phone number of the user are present. Click on the Phone option.
Step 5: Select the mobile number which you want to change
Now the mobile numbers which you have added to your Google Account will be shown. Select the mobile number which you want to change or update with a new number. Click on that number. Then the screen will be open as shown in the below image. Click on the Edit icon as shown below.
Next click on the Update Number displayed at the bottom of the page.
Step 6: Enter the number to Update
Now you need to enter a new number that you want to update. Once you enter the number then click on the select option as shown in the above image. Then your mobile number updates immediately.
- Also Read: How to Get SMS Alerts for Gmail via Twitter
- How to Forward Multiple Emails at Once in Gmail
How to Remove Mobile number
completely from Google
Account/Gmail on Android?
In the previous section, we have seen the procedure to Update the mobile
number with a new number. In this section, we are going to see how to
remove Mobile number completely from google account.
Removing a mobile number from Gmail/ Google account is the same as the
editing procedure. The first four steps are the same for both the procedures. So I am going to give you a complete explanation from step 5. Follow the first four steps as the above method.
- Step 1: Open Gmail app that linked to Google Account
- Step 2: Click on the Menu, and then click on the Settings option
- Step 3: Select the account and then click on the Manage your Google Account option to do any changes to your Google account.
- Step 4: When your Google Account is open in a new screen it has many sections such as Home, Personal Info, Data & personalization, etc. Go to Personal Information section. Click on Phone option.
- Step 5: When you click on the Phone number it opens a screen with many options that are related to the phone number. Click on the Bin symbol at the top of the screen.
- Step 6: Next it asks you for confirmation about removing your mobile number in Google Account. Click on the Remove Number option as shown in the below image.
Then your phone number will be removed from your Gmail/ Google Account completely.
- Also read: How to Change Gmail name or Name on Google Account
- How to Export or Import Gmail Contacts to Outlook?
How to Remove Mobile number
completely from Google
Account/Gmail on Desktop
In the previous section, we have seen the procedure to remove mobile number in Gmail on Android. Some people want to remove the mobile number in Google account/ Gmail on Desktop or laptop. For those people the procedure in this section is useful. Follow the below Steps to Remove phonenumber completely from Google Account/ Gmail on Desktop.
Step 1: First open Gmail on any browser on your desktop. At the top right corner of the screen, you will see the profile picture of your Google Account. Click on that profile. Then you will see Manage your Google Account option. Click on it.
Step 2: Now your Google Account settings screen will open. In that, you have many sections like Home, Personal Info, Data & Personalisation, etc. Click on the Personal Info ( Personal Information) Section.
In the Personal Info section, you can find Contact Info which includes Email and Phone number. Click on the Phone number.
Step 3: Now the options related to that phone number will be shown. Click on the Bin symbol
Step 4: When you click on the Bin symbol then it asks you for confirmation about removing the mobile number from Google Account. Read the message and then click on the Remove Number option as shown in the below image.
- Also read: Gmail Dark Mode: Makes It Easier To View Messages At Night Times or In Low Light Situations
- How to Change Gmail Background Image or Theme or Color
Now you know how to change and remove Gmail phone number and the use of the mobile numbers in the Gmail account. If you have any queries do let us know in the comment section. Don’t forget to share this article. Want more Google tips, please follow whatvwant on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.