Want to backup Gmail Emails and Gmail account? Then follow this article to learn easily how to backup your Gmail messages using Top 5 Gmail backup tools.
Table of Contents
Why do I need backup tools for Gmail?
Gmail is an essential email using by almost everyone for their respective works like office, business, personal, jobs and so on. Following may be any one of the reasons, you need backup tools for your Gmail.
- Plenty of emails, you may receive daily which stores on the Google cloud server. If you wish to backup some important messages related to your work for future use, then you have to download them by using Gmail backup tools.
- If you wish to free up some space on your Gmail cloud server, then you have to delete specific messages on your Gmail. But if you want those files for future use, then you have to download those messages on to your computer by using Gmail backup tools before deleting them.
- In order to prevent unexpected data loss on your Gmail, you can backup your Gmail messages by using Gmail backup tools. This article explains the Top 5 Gmail backup tools necessary for you.
Can You Backup Gmail?
Yes. It is possible. You can export all your emails from Gmail to your computer or USB or any hard drive by using Gmail backup tools. In this article, the top 5 Gmail backup tools are explained. Follow this article to learn how to export all your emails from Gmail.
- Related: What is Archive in Gmail? How To Archive And Access Archived Emails In Gmail?
- How to get Gmail backup into PC hard drive
Hint: This article will give you free tools. Always free tools have certain limitations. If you don’t mind about spending a little amount for the best features with support, you need to go with the premium tools. I suggest you to go with Systools Gmail backup for Windows or Systools Gmail backup for Mac.
15% Systools Gmail backup discount Coupon
Our readers get a special 30% discount on Systools Gmail backup.
Top 5 Free Gmail backup tools
The following are the Top 5 Gmail backup tools that allow you to backup your Gmail messages
- Google Takeout
- MailStore Home
1. Google Takeout: Best Free Gmail backup tool
Google Takeout allows you to archive your Gmail messages in Inbox, Starred, Important, Sent and so on. You can archive Gmail messages from your labels (like Inbox, Starred, Important, Sent and so on ) to your computer in the form of .zip files in MOB format. MOB is a standard format for storing email messages. Follow the steps to archive your Gmail Messages in various labels to prepare backup on your computer using google takeout.
Video tutorial: How to backup Gmail messages with Google Takeout
Step 1: Open Google Takeout web page on your web browser.
Step 2: Click on the option “Deselect all”.
Step 3: Scroll down the page until you see the option “Mail” and select this option.
Step 4: Under the option “Mail” you can see another option “labels selected “. Click on the option “labels selected” and select the labels like Archived, Chat, Drafts, Important, Inbox and so on. After selecting your desired labels, click on the option “OK”. Remember that Gmail messages in these selected labels will be archived now.
Step 5: Scroll down the page and click on the option “Next step”.
Step 6: Select any one option under “Export type”
- One-time archive (or)
- Scheduled exports every 2 months for a year 6 archives
Step 7: Select the “File type” either “.zip” (or) “.tgz”. Select “.zip” because you can open zip files on any computer.
Step 8: Select the “Archive size” as 1GB (or) 2GB (or) 4GB (or) 10GB (or) 50GB.
Step 9: Now click on the option “Create archive”.
Step 10: Now Google starts the archiving process. This process may take a long time, minutes or hours or possibly days based on the archive size. Once this process is completed, then a link is sent to your Gmail.
Step 11: Click on the option “Download archive”. Then the page redirected to Google takeout web page and asks your Gmail login credentials. After login, you can download your archive.
Pros of Google takeout
- You can download Gmail messages from your selected labels in the form of “zip” files in the MOB format.
- You can directly download the archived Gmail messages on to your computer.
- Now it is easy for you to backup your important Gmail messages at any time you want.
- You can create more than one archive.
Cons of Google takeout
- The MOB file format obtained from Google takeout does not open directly on your computer. You need to install Thunderbird to open MOB format files.
- You can’t select specific messages in a particular label to archive.
Video tutorial: How to backup Gmail messages with Thunderbird and Mailstore home
2. Thunderbird: Free Gmail backup software
Thunderbird is versatile than Google takeout which allows you to copy specific messages of your Gmail directly on to your computer. You can import MOB format files and can open using Thunderbird. Follow the steps to copy specific messages and to import MOB format files.
How to backup Gmail with Thunderbird
Step 1: First of all, you have to download the Thunderbird application from its official web page and install it on your computer. Then it’s shortcut appears on the installation. Click on the short icon. Then the Thunderbird application opens. Now log in with your Gmail credentials that are your Gmail login ID and password.
Step 2: After login, click on the “three horizontal lines” symbol on top right on the Thunderbird application. Then click on the option Add-ons.
step 3: Now a new page opens in a new tab. Then on search bar enter “ImportExport Tools” and press the enter button on the keyboard.
Step 4: Now again new page opens in a new tab. Then click on the option “Add to Thunderbird”.
Step 5: Now click on the option “Restart” on the Thunderbird application to add the “ImportExport Tools” option successfully to Thunderbird application.
Step 6: Now go to inbox and select your important multiple messages and give a right-click. Then click on the option “Copy to Local Folders”. Then the selected messages copied to particular Local Folder.
Step 7: You can create a new folder with your desired name under “Local Folders” option. For this, give right-click on the option “Local Folders” and click on the New Folder. Then enter the name of the folder like “Important Messages”. Then the folder with the name “Important Messages” is created below the option “Local Folders”. Now you can copy all the selected messages into that folder. Remember that all data on local folders are stored on your computer.
Step 8: You know that MOB format files cannot open directly on the computer directly. Now to open those files on Thunderbird, give a right-click on the option “Local Folders”. Then click on the option “ImportExport Tools” and then click on “Import mbox file”. Then click on the option “OK”.
Step 9: Now a pop-up window opens to select mbox file to import. Then select the mbox file in particular on your computer and then click on the option “Open” on the pop-up window. Now messages in the mbox file appear on Thunderbird.
Pros of Thunderbird
- In Google takeout, all messages in a selected label are archived. There is no option to select particular messages in that label. But in Thunderbird, only the selected messages or all messages in a particular label can be copied directly to the local folders on your computer.
- Using Thunderbird you can import, backup your MOB format files and can open them on Thunderbird.
- Now it is easy for you to backup your selected Gmail messages directly on to your computer.
Cons of Thunderbird
- You can’t store the copied Gmail messages on the cloud server. You can store the copied messages only on your computer.
- Not efficient in showing associated posts, messages, and various related sites documents.
- It does not furnish sufficient configuration for a certain number of security features.
3. UpSafe Gmail backup: Free Gmail backup tool for Windows
UpSafe is more user-friendly compared to the previous two applications. By using UpSafe, you can backup all messages in your Gmail directly on to your computer. Follow the steps to back up your Gmail messages on your computer by using the “UpSafe” application.
Step 1: Download the “Upsafe” Free Gmail backup application from its official web page and install it on your computer. Then a shortcut appears on the desktop like “Gmail Backup”.
Step 2: Now click on the shortcut “Gmail Backup” on the desktop of your computer.
Step 3: Then the Upsafe startup page opens. Now click on the option “Sign in with Google”. Then sign in with your Gmail ID and Password.
Step 4: After sign in, click on the option “Start backup”. Then the backup process starts.
Step 5: After some time, the backup process may be completed and all messages of your Gmail directly stored on your computer. To see those stored messages on the “UpSafe” application, click on the option “View mail backup”.
Pros of UpSafe
- It is more user-friendly compared to the previous applications because there are only three steps exist after installation. Those are “sign in with Google”, “Start backup” and “View mail backup”.
- Now it is easy for you to backup your selected Gmail messages directly on to your computer.
Cons of UpSafe
- The only one thing you have to remember is that before installing the “upsafe” application, you have to install the following on your computer.
- Microsoft .net framework 4.5, and
- Microsoft .net 4.5.1 framework.
- The above two installations on your computer may take somewhat much time.
- If you want to store your Gmail messages on the cloud server, then this application may be expensive.
4. MailStore Home:
MailStore Home is a powerful application to backup, export and to restore your Gmail messages at any instant. You can also import mbox format files and can be opened on MailStore Home application. Follow the steps to copy your Gmail messages and also to import MOB format files.
How to archive Gmail Email to Computer Using MailStore
Step 1: Download “MailStore Home (Free)” from its official website and install it on your computer.
Step 2: A shortcut Icon is created on the desktop of your computer. Click on that icon. Then the “MailStore Home” application opens on your computer.
Step 3: Click on the option “Archive E-mail”.
Step 4: Click on the option “Advanced” and then click on the option “Gmail”.
Step 5: Now enter your Gmail ID like XXXXXX@gmail.com and click on the option “Authorize”.
Step 6: After authorization, click the option “Next”. Then your Gmail profile is created on MailStore application.
Step 7: Double click on your Gmail under profile name to archive your Gmail messages. These archived messages are stored on your computer.
Step 8: To view your archived Gmail messages, then double click on the option “My Archive”.
Step 9: Now import mbox format files using the option “MBOX File”. Click on the option “Archive E-mail” and then click on the option “MBOX File”.
Step 10: Now a pop-up window opens. Then browse the MBOX files on your computer and then click on the options “Next” and “OK”.
Step 11: Now double click on your MBOX file under Profile Name. Then double click on the options “My Archives” and then on “MBOX” to see your MBOX file messages on MailStore applications.
Pros of MailStore Home
- MailStore is a powerful application to backup, export, restore your Gmail messages.
- MailStore Home application is a more user-friendly and easier approach.
- You can import, backup and can see your MBOX format files.
- You can backup your data on to your computer and also to any USB or to any Hard disk.
Cons of MailStore Home
- If you want to store your Gmail messages on the cloud server, then this application might be expensive.
Gmvault is a powerful command-line based tool that allows you to backup your Gmail messages up to date every day on to your computer. By following simple commands, you can backup your Gmail messages on to your computer and also you can restore your messages to your Gmail.
You have to download Gmvault from its webpage and install it on your computer. Then open the Gmvault application and follow simple commands to synchronize your Gmail and backup your Gmail Messages on to your computer.
Pros of Gmvault
- Gmvault is a powerful command-line application to backup, export, restore your Gmail messages.
- Gmvault application is simple for you when you understand the various commands on its application.
- Once you learn commands, then you have to follow those commands on its application to synchronize your account, to back up your messages, to export your messages.
- You can backup your data on to your computer up to date.
Cons of Gmvault
- As Gmvault is command prompt interfacing, this application is not user-friendly interfacing until you learn about programming and simple commands.
- As most of us familiar with the pictorial interface, it takes somewhat much time for you to learn command prompt and programming interfacing.
Conclusion: Best way to backup Gmail Emails
Ofcourse you can use any free method mentioned above. We prefer Google takeout as the best free way to backup Gmail Emails.
If you want the best features, we suggest you premium software Systools Gmail backup for Windows(15% Discounted Link) or Systools Mac Gmail backup(15% Discounted Link).
By the end of this article, you able to know how to backup your Gmail messages by using various backup tools. Do a favor, by sharing this article and follow whatvwant on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube for more tips.