Do you need to recover deleted files on Mac, such as critical business documents, photos, videos, music, etc? Then you can do it easily. And this article is a great aid and way for you to perform this task.
In this article, we have explained the best basic practice ways without using any external software tools and using the latest software tool to easily restore the deleted files in your Mac.
Is it really possible to recover deleted files on Mac?
Yes. It is now possible to recover the deleted files on your Mac. And it clearly depends upon the deleted time (how long ago) and technical knowledge.
Technical Knowledge: If you have the profound technical knowledge, then you can restore the deleted files on your Mac in several ways. Some methods explained here really require technical knowledge. However, if you don’t have any technical knowledge, then don’t bother at all. Because simple methods that won’t require any technical knowledge are also explained here.
Method limitations: All the methods comes with certain limits. One must be aware of those to save time.
Patience: These recovery methods takes time from 1 minute to several hours depending on the size and number of the files.
Hint: Always free software gives you limited features. When you don’t mind spending a little amount to recover your valuable data, you need to use the premium data recovery tools. We suggest Wondershare Recoverit.
How to recover deleted files on Mac
Always back up important data in order to be on the safe side. There are several ways to recover deleted files on Mac. Here the best basic practice methods without using any external software tools and using the latest software tool are explained. Based on your need, choose the best method which works for you.
1.Using undo option
This is an easy method that doesn’t require any technical knowledge and just takes 20 seconds to perform the present task. However, it comes with its own set of limitations. It won’t work after the application exits. Moreover, it won’t work for recovering multiple files. But you can recover the last deleted file that too if a particular application is not closed.
Now, look here how an image can be restored after deleting it. For this, I have deleted an image with the name “CoreAudio” from the desktop. Now follow the below steps to restore it.
- Check out the “Edit” option from the top left menu.
- Click on Edit and choose to undo the “filename” option
- Restore it.
2.Restoring files from “Trash”
Whenever you delete files on your Mac, then those files will still appear in the trash bin until you empty it. Suppose you want to restore the deleted files at any time, then you can do it from the trash bin. Now follow the below steps to do this.
- Check out the trash icon from desktop.
- Select files to highlight them and use “Put Back” option.
- Then the selected files will be restored to the original destination.
If trash is emptied, then you can’t use this method. It works only when the deleted items are still present in the trash bin. The main advantage of this method is you can restore multiple files to the original destination in no time.
This process is not recommended for everyone. If you have profound knowledge on using commands over the terminal, then you can use it. By using this method, you can restore only a single file at once. Now follow the below steps to do this.
- You can use your own way to open the terminal. However, the easiest way to get to the terminal is by navigating through the spotlight.
- Enter “cd .Trash” which takes you to the Trash folder.
- Enter “ls -al ~/.Trash” to display the content of the Trash folder on-screen with file names.
- Enter mv filename ../ .
- Then replace the filename with the deleted file name and restore it.
It works the same as the previous trash method. The only difference is that the terminal allows you to easily discover the deleted images with the interface. And this method also can’t restore the files if they are deleted from the trash.
- Also Read: 2 ways to recover deleted Facebook messages
- 3 ways to recover deleted history from Google chrome
4.Using Backup options
Apple’s inbuilt time machine, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc falls under this section. Here, you can restore each and everything that you have deleted, if you have backup them prior. Now follow the below steps to do this.
- Browse to the original folder and use time machine(for newer versions)
- Choose the deleted files that you want to recover. Timeline displays on the right sidebar which will be helpful to choose more recent versions of the selected files.
- Later, click on restore. Then all the selected files will be restored to the destination.
Even if you are using some cloud services, prior backup is a must to recover the deleted files. The main advantage of this method is that you can access cloud backup (if you have) from anywhere and restore to any device with the same file name and to the same folder in no time.
5. Using Disk Drill (Software Tool)
Disk Drill is a great way to restore the deleted files even after you empty the trash. And you can also restore the permanently deleted files. Further, you can restore multiple deleted files.
In this section, you can view how to easily restore the deleted files using Disk Drill. In brief, the following steps are involved here.
1. Download and Install Disk Drill for Mac.
2. Launch Disk Drill file recovery software on Mac.
3. Choose The Disk From The List.
4. Select The Scanning Method.
5. Wait until the software completes the scanning process. Then Select The Deleted Files and Recover Deleted Files on Mac.
Total Time: 5 minutes
Step1: Download and Install Disk Drill for Mac
Step2: Launch Disk Drill file recovery software on Mac and Upgrade to Pro
1. Once installation completes, launch it.
2. Next, it will ask you to upgrade. Then you can either go for an upgrade or choose the basic edition.
3. With the basic or free edition, you can recover the data up to 500MB only.
4. Suppose your data recovery size is greater than 500MB, then you must go for an upgrade.
5. The cost of its PRO plan is $89. And its Enterprise plan is $499.
6. And if you buy Disk Drill for Mac, then you will get Windows version free.
Step3: Choose The Disk From The List
Select the drive where you have deleted the files.
Step4: Select The Scanning Method
1. Now to recover the lost data in a simple way, just click the “Recover” button, present next to the volume that you want to scan.
Then it automatically goes through all the available scanning methods one by one to find the deleted files.
2. Alternatively, you can also use the following individual scans by clicking the drop-down arrow on the “Recover” button.
a. Deep Scan (most powerful but takes a long time for scanning)
b. Quick Scan (Use this to recover the deleted files on HFS/HFS+,
NTFS and FAT file systems)
c. Undelete Protected Data (Use this if you have installed Disk
Drill prior to deleting the files and enabled Guaranteed
Recovery or Recovery Vault)
Step5: Wait until the software completes the scanning process. Then Select The Deleted Files And Recover Deleted Files on Mac
1. Depending on the scan method that you have selected, the scanning process may take from 1 minute to several hours.
2. Once the scan completes, you can see all the deleted files.
3. Next, select your desired files and the location where you want to store them.
4. Next, click on the “Recover” button.
Then the data recovery starts.
Once it completes, you can open the destination folder to verify them.
- Disk Drill
That’s It! You have now know how to recover the lost data on your Mac using Disk Drill.
Now you have seen 5 ways to recover the deleted files on Mac. You can use your convenient method that meets your requirements. If the lost data is more important for you, then react immediately and use any of the above methods. Then you can have more chances to recover the lost data. If you are late, then chances of recovering narrows down.
One more time we suggest you go with Wondershare Recoverit for the best results.
I hope this tutorial, How To recover deleted files on Mac, is a quick guide for Mac users to recover their last data in an easy way. If you like this article, please share it and follow WhatVwant on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube for more Technical tips.