Limiting internet access to kids is one of the best options to control. Here are the best methods to block a website in all web browsers in no time.
Why Should I Block websites?
The concept of limiting access to websites arise due to addiction. Here are a few reasons why to block websites.
- Excessive usage of social media which eventually effects productivity.
- Moving away from work by browsing entertainment stuff.
- Block unnecessary and adult websites for children.
- Some times it works as a security measure as well.
YouTube kills productivity at workplaces and the same with social media websites and the list goes on. Here are the methods to block certain websites on Mac.
- Related: Best apps to block websites
1.How to block a website in all web browsers on Windows PC using hosts file
You can block any website by editing the host file of your computer. This is the simple and easy way to block unwanted web sites.
1.Go to start button
2. Type Notepad and select notepad.
3. Click File and Select Open.
4.select local disk drive C
5. select windows
6.select System32 file.
9.select host file( initially you wont see ant files here .to get all files ,change text document to all files
and select hosts.
10. come to the bottom and add the ip address 127.0.0.1 followed by websites to block. For example say if would like to block Facebook and twitter. Write down these urls with space separation.
let me show you ,both websites are opening before saving host file ,it shows this webpage is not available
make sure to add mobile version of the websites. face book .com is treated different to Facebook .com
2. How to Block websites on chrome:
Here I am going to give you the information about how to Block a site on chrome using an extension.
1.Go to customize and control google chrome button.
2.Select more tools as shown in the below figure.
3.After selecting more tools option Select Extensions option as shown in below figure.
4. After selecting extension option scroll down the page and select Get more extensions option.
5. Type block site in search box in left side of pages shown in below figure
Install the Block site extension.
6.Go to customize and control google chrome button
7.Select more tool
8. Select block site and add like shows that in below figure
9 . After selecting the block sites, select options tab.
10.Double click on the option tab as shown in the below figure.
11. Type web site name which you want to block.
12. Select add page
After completion of the above procedure, if you check web site it will show error message.
3. Methods to block certain websites on Mac
There are internal methods to do so but are never used. The included options are not as complicated as you think. So let’s start with the inbuilt procedure and then the methods to block certain websites on a mac using tools.
3.1.Blocking websites with parental controls
The name itself says everything. It was an inbuilt option developed by Apple for the sake of parents to limit the internet usage for kids. But however, it can also be used for employees to limit the usage of social media to scale up production.
- Click on Apple icon from the right top menu and then go to system preferences.
- Select parental controls. Use finder to find the option as well.
- If there is only a user, then do create multiple user accounts with parental controls.
- Tap on web window and browse to the parental options. Choose them accordingly.
- Allow access to these websites blocks user from using all websites except the specified ones.
- Control usage time from time limits section too
- To unblock, access the web tab and choose to allow unrestricted access to websites. That’s it.
- Also Read: How to Block websites on chrome with extensions
- 4 ways to unblock websites or to open blocked websites
3.2.Blocking websites on Mac with a host file
This is really a quick process which requires terminal and couple of commands. One can easily bypass this but can be useful when you really have to do a quick setup. We are going to modify the host file.
- Open terminal from finder.
- Copy “Sudo nano /etc/hosts” and hit enter. Type required password.
- This is the host file database where we have to make the required changes.
- Type same number (which is the prefix for local host in above statements)and enter the desired website URL that needs to be blocked. Use prefix and suffix of the URL too.
- Click control+O to save changes.
- Copy “sudo dscacheutil -flushcache” and hit enter.
- Now try opening the same website from your browser. It’s blocked.
3.3. By adjusting Router settings
This process is not recommended as it blocks websites for all the users who are connected with that router. It works with for startups and employees. It is not suggested in homes for parents.
- Head on to system preferences
- Go to Network->WiFi-> Advanced-> TCP/IP
- Copy the IP address and paste it in the URL address bar which takes you to router login page.
- If you are new here, use default username and password which are on the router.
- Browse all the settings in the router. It is different from each router and so can’t be listed here.
- Find it and add the URLs which are to be blocked.
- Also Read: 8 best unblocked music websites to enjoy music anywhere
- How to block a website in all web browsers
3.4.How to Block certain websites on Mac with Intego Mac Premium bundle
Intego mac premium bundle(50% discounted link) is well-known security software for mac users. It comes with different options such as NetBarrier, VirusBarrier, and ContentBarrier. Websites can be directly blocked with ContentBarrier which is in the Intego mac premium bundle.
This section will tell you how to block certain websites on Mac using the Intego Mac Premium bundle.
Total Time: 5 minutes
Use assistant properly
Buy Intego Mac Premium bundle through This 50% special discounted link. Install and launch ContentBarrier with a double-tap. The Assistant is useful if you are setting up things for the first time.
Write protection rules
After clicking on next, 3 default settings will be displayed. Monitored is to monitor the list of websites and safe browsing is especially for kids i.e to block adult, gambling sites etc. The restricted option is to allow the sites which are to be displayed. You can revise all these settings later.
This is the third and final page of setup which asks for configuring notifications. It can email you 2 kinds of reports as per the configured settings. Complete reports include information related to everything
Setup a password
It is possible to set a unique password to ContentBarrier. You can set one or can use system password too. It’s up to you.
The one who installed can be the administrator and the rest are users. Admin can add, delete and control users.
Block websites for certain users
After setup, pick out the user profile from the left side of the dashboard and control them by accessing all the tabs i.e blocked websites, scheduled access, chat, recording and more. To block websites for a user, click on blocked websites tab and tap on needed options for more filters.
Redirect Blocked website to custom page
One can redirect the blocked website to a custom page URL i.e when someone types for the blocked URL, the custom page will be displayed. This setting is right under the blocked websites tab. It’s done.
Hope I had explained all the important methods to block certain websites on mac. Just to remember, the method with ContentBarrier is the most reliable one good number of filter options. Other methods can be bypassed in some other ways but it is different ContentBarrier and so I would suggest you the same.
I hope you like my article about How to Block a website in all web browsers. If you like it, do me favor by sharing it with your friends. If you want to add any other point, You can add through the comment section.
Block a website – FAQs
Can you block websites on Safari?
Yes, you can block websites on safari. It restricts access to the websites which are blocked and blacklisted. One can do it using parental controls on mac.
How do you put parental controls on a Mac?
Go to the menu and then system preferences. Search for parental controls. Choose a user account and do the necessary changes as per instructions on the screen. It’s easy to use and block.
Does Apple have parental controls?
Parental controls here refers to giving limited access to their kids for the internet. Yes, Apple has parental controls options with filters.